Numismatic chest bump

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
      I don't know if this was a bargain, but it is unusual:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260257060362

      It's a flipover double strike on top of an already-struck nickel. The
      reverse face of the second strike features a brockage of the obverse
      design overlying the spread-out, raised obverse design from the first
      strike. You can see the incuse, mirror-image word "IN" along with the
      incuse base of Jefferson's bust.

      Yes, I know it's one of half-a-million possible unique combinations and
      permutations, but it's a fetching one.

      Did this fly under most people's radar, or did I simply find it more
      interesting than most? Who knows?
    • Travis Bolton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
        I think your right and it looks nice to me Mike! I didn't notice this
        item but please clarify for me if you will.....below the bust of
        Jefferson looks like an "X". You think part of that feature is
        brockage of the obverse and part of it is the smashed out design of
        Jeffersons jacket breast from the first strike? I also see the
        lettering. Pretty cool and a decent price I think. What's up with you
        and these brockage nickels lately anyway?............

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
          Yeah, the "X" represents an overlap between incuse and raised folds
          of Jefferson's coat.

          It's funny how errors run in streaks, isn't it? Interestingly, this
          is a 1972-D nickel, just like my mint set brockage. But this one
          shows normal striking pressure.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Bolton"
          <travisbolton543@...> wrote:

          > I think your right and it looks nice to me Mike! I didn't notice
          this
          > item but please clarify for me if you will.....below the bust of
          > Jefferson looks like an "X". You think part of that feature is
          > brockage of the obverse and part of it is the smashed out design of
          > Jeffersons jacket breast from the first strike? I also see the
          > lettering. Pretty cool and a decent price I think. What's up with
          you
          > and these brockage nickels lately anyway?............

          > <mdia1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I don't know if this was a bargain, but it is unusual:
          > >
          > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260257060362
          > >
          > > It's a flipover double strike on top of an already-struck
          nickel.
          > The
          > > reverse face of the second strike features a brockage of the
          > obverse
          > > design overlying the spread-out, raised obverse design from the
          > first
          > > strike. You can see the incuse, mirror-image word "IN" along
          with
          > the
          > > incuse base of Jefferson's bust.
          > >
          > > Yes, I know it's one of half-a-million possible unique
          combinations
          > and
          > > permutations, but it's a fetching one.
          > >
          > > Did this fly under most people's radar, or did I simply find it
          > more
          > > interesting than most? Who knows?

        • jeff ylitalo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008

            It is quite funny about errors following suite when one type suddenly sells (this one and the other in your mint set and that they are 72 D nickels). I do think somehow others subconsciously tag these events.

            I've seen it happen on many occasions, but it is only my observation, which are real, and subseqent assumptions.

            'Pavlow's dog'...(involuntary reflex) kinda maybe,....but I think so.

            Anyhow, that is a great error, Mike.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2008
              With the coin in hand, I'm now able to determine that the two strikes
              were delivered by different die pairs. I am unable to determine
              whether I'm dealing with a delayed second strike because there are so
              few contact marks on the first strike. It's likely that these were
              adjacent dies in a dual or quad press.

              The brockage of the base of Jefferson's bust is quite clear and the
              coin is choice BU. So I'm quite happy with my purchase.