Re: Help with an indent

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
      I finally was able to bring up your image. This is a
      normal "indent". The coin was struck only once while a blank
      planchet lay partly on top of it. The IN GOD WE TRUST that you see
      is simply a ghost image that bled through the thinned metal of the
      overlying planchet from the obverse die. In an off-center, uniface
      strike, the struck part of the coin can be quite thin, thin enough to
      allow some of the obverse design to bleed through.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "Ben" <insano@a...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I bought this indent error at Ebay.
      > First I thought it was a normal indent with collar.
      > But with magnification I can see that the legend 'In God we trust'
      > is present, so it was first struck without problems.
      > Then a second strike is where a planchet was over the coin pictured
      > and produced the indent, but the rest of the coin looks normal.
      > The coin just look as a one time struck coin with an indent.
      > Where is the indent+double strike???
      >
      > The pic is at:
      > http://www.condorcoins.com/errores/incisa1.jpg
    • Ben
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
        The metal is not so thinned.
        The obverse has the legend 'in god we trust', the reverse is empty
        in the opposite face, it can't be a legend form the reverse.
        Is it a fake??

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@a...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
          You misunderstood what I said. I indicated that the metal of the
          overlying planchet was thinned by the strike. The overlying planchet
          produced the indent. I was not referring to the thickness of your
          coin.

          Also, to repeat what I said earlier, the motto IN GOD WE TRUST bled
          through the thinned metal of the overlying planchet from the OBVERSE
          die. The reverse face is struck by the reverse die (obviously),
          which does not carry the motto IN GOD WE TRUST.

          The coin is genuine.