Re: Help with an indent

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
      I am unable to connect to your image. This may be a temporary
      glitch. As an alternative, you may post your image in the "default
      album" in our photo gallery. Or, if the image is still up, you can
      direct us to the original eBay auction.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
        I finally was able to bring up your image. This is a
        normal "indent". The coin was struck only once while a blank
        planchet lay partly on top of it. The IN GOD WE TRUST that you see
        is simply a ghost image that bled through the thinned metal of the
        overlying planchet from the obverse die. In an off-center, uniface
        strike, the struck part of the coin can be quite thin, thin enough to
        allow some of the obverse design to bleed through.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "Ben" <insano@a...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I bought this indent error at Ebay.
        > First I thought it was a normal indent with collar.
        > But with magnification I can see that the legend 'In God we trust'
        > is present, so it was first struck without problems.
        > Then a second strike is where a planchet was over the coin pictured
        > and produced the indent, but the rest of the coin looks normal.
        > The coin just look as a one time struck coin with an indent.
        > Where is the indent+double strike???
        >
        > The pic is at:
        > http://www.condorcoins.com/errores/incisa1.jpg
      • Ben
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
          The metal is not so thinned.
          The obverse has the legend 'in god we trust', the reverse is empty
          in the opposite face, it can't be a legend form the reverse.
          Is it a fake??

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@a...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
            You misunderstood what I said. I indicated that the metal of the
            overlying planchet was thinned by the strike. The overlying planchet
            produced the indent. I was not referring to the thickness of your
            coin.

            Also, to repeat what I said earlier, the motto IN GOD WE TRUST bled
            through the thinned metal of the overlying planchet from the OBVERSE
            die. The reverse face is struck by the reverse die (obviously),
            which does not carry the motto IN GOD WE TRUST.

            The coin is genuine.