Help with an indent

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2002
      Hi,
      I bought this indent error at Ebay.
      First I thought it was a normal indent with collar.
      But with magnification I can see that the legend 'In God we trust'
      is present, so it was first struck without problems.
      Then a second strike is where a planchet was over the coin pictured
      and produced the indent, but the rest of the coin looks normal.
      The coin just look as a one time struck coin with an indent.
      Where is the indent+double strike???

      The pic is at:
      http://www.condorcoins.com/errores/incisa1.jpg
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
        I am unable to connect to your image. This may be a temporary
        glitch. As an alternative, you may post your image in the "default
        album" in our photo gallery. Or, if the image is still up, you can
        direct us to the original eBay auction.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
          I finally was able to bring up your image. This is a
          normal "indent". The coin was struck only once while a blank
          planchet lay partly on top of it. The IN GOD WE TRUST that you see
          is simply a ghost image that bled through the thinned metal of the
          overlying planchet from the obverse die. In an off-center, uniface
          strike, the struck part of the coin can be quite thin, thin enough to
          allow some of the obverse design to bleed through.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
            The metal is not so thinned.
            The obverse has the legend 'in god we trust', the reverse is empty
            in the opposite face, it can't be a legend form the reverse.
            Is it a fake??

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@a...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 12, 2002
              You misunderstood what I said. I indicated that the metal of the
              overlying planchet was thinned by the strike. The overlying planchet
              produced the indent. I was not referring to the thickness of your
              coin.

              Also, to repeat what I said earlier, the motto IN GOD WE TRUST bled
              through the thinned metal of the overlying planchet from the OBVERSE
              die. The reverse face is struck by the reverse die (obviously),
              which does not carry the motto IN GOD WE TRUST.

              The coin is genuine.