Re: Grading ?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2002
      I cannot steer you to a particular company in a public forum, but I
      will e-mail you with my personal opinion later on.

      Grading services do vary in reliability. All are far from perfect in
      diagnosing and describing error coins. As far as grading goes, there
      is a strong element of subjectivity in the grades that are assigned.

      Me, I like the old grading standards of VF, XF, UNC, BU, etc. I
      don't think the fine gradations of present scale can be consistently
      or accurately applied. Also grading companies vary in how much
      weight they give to contact marks, tarnish, corrosion, and other
      problems that detract from the desirability of a coin. Additionally,
      no grading company takes into account die state, which for me is a
      critical component of the desirability of a coin.

      These are, of course, personal opinions which others might not share.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "Chuck and Renee' Doublin"