Grading ?

  • Chuck and Renee' Doublin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2002
      Hi there, i have a question on grading companies? Which one's are the
      best and do you have a favorite? i have seen PCI which i currently
      have 1 coin graded from them, i had to send it back because i did not
      agree with them on the quality and it turns out that i was correct.

      Anyway i bought a MS69 2000 silver eagle for around $28 and then on e-
      bay i seen a MS70 2000 silver eagle that sold for $12, was this a
      goof or is PCI just a bad grading company? and nobody respects them?

      Thanks, Chuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2002
        I cannot steer you to a particular company in a public forum, but I
        will e-mail you with my personal opinion later on.

        Grading services do vary in reliability. All are far from perfect in
        diagnosing and describing error coins. As far as grading goes, there
        is a strong element of subjectivity in the grades that are assigned.

        Me, I like the old grading standards of VF, XF, UNC, BU, etc. I
        don't think the fine gradations of present scale can be consistently
        or accurately applied. Also grading companies vary in how much
        weight they give to contact marks, tarnish, corrosion, and other
        problems that detract from the desirability of a coin. Additionally,
        no grading company takes into account die state, which for me is a
        critical component of the desirability of a coin.

        These are, of course, personal opinions which others might not share.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "Chuck and Renee' Doublin"