pre-strike damage

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
      I've posted in the "defective and damaged planchets" album some
      pictures of a 1986 zinc cent with pre-strike damage. I received it a
      short time ago. In some places it looks like the copper plating was
      scraped off prior to the strike. In other areas it looks like molten
      zinc splashed onto the planchet before the strike. The weight of the
      coin falls within the normal range of variation (2.52g).

      The vast majority of partial plating errors are due to the plating
      having never been deposited at all. Only a small percentage are due
      to pre-strike damage, and a similar small percentage to peeling off
      after the strike.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2002
        Here is a real nice example of pre-strike damage to a copper-plated
        zinc planchet:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1385016857

        It's too bad that so few people collect this error category. I find
        them very interesting as they're so diverse in cause and appearance.

        Pre-strike damage is completely different from irregular planchets or
        incomplete planchets. In pre-strike damage, the blank emerges normal
        and intact from the blanking press and then is chewed up before or
        after its passage through the upset mill. With irregular planchets
        and incomplete planchets (i.e. "clips") the blank is abnormal from
        the start due to improper blanking or a defect in the coin metal
        strip.