A question concerning toned cents.

  • portpere
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
      Hi,
      I recently aquired and opened a few rolls of BU 1982 Large Date Zinc
      Lincoln Cents. I found a number of wildly or rainbow toned coins in the
      group. Are these the result of minting problems with the changeover
      from copper to copper plated zinc? Or is it a post mint environmental
      effect? I have posted pics of three of the best examples, the first
      looks to me like the plating was incomplete and zinc is showing
      through. Is this a common find for the year? I have not run across any
      of this type in a BU roll, but have seen some toned cents in
      circulation.
      All opinions and furthur info is greatly appreciated.
      John
    • portpere
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
        OOPS! Pics posted in Default album.
        John
        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, portpere

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
          The mottled appearance and apparent reduction of mint luster suggests
          to me that these are examples of post-strike discoloration. Whether it
          occurred inside or outside the Mint cannot be deterined.