what happen to my quarters

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3 11:02 AM
      I posted pictures of my new state quarters under new quarters. I would
      like to know what happen to them. They are P mint and have large funny
      marks on them
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3 11:31 AM
        They were struck through compacted, hardened crud that tends to
        accumulate on the die face. Variably composed of a mixture of oil,
        grease, metal dust, and dirt, the substance is generally referred to
        as "grease" and the error is called a "grease strike" or "struck
        through grease". It's rather common.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel"
        <dan8647@...> wrote:

        > I posted pictures of my new state quarters under new quarters. I
        would
        > like to know what happen to them. They are P mint and have large
        funny
        > marks on them

      • portpere
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3 12:05 PM
          I have a bunch of those Wyoming grease strikes also. Look at the
          photos I have posted in the die damage folder. You can see a hat
          shaped dent on the first and the second has a die crack within that
          same depression above the hat.
          John