Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Triple-strike with double brockage

  • nathan simmons
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      Ya know, it still baffles me a bit, after having worked with so many machines like the mint uses,.....presses, hammers and collets of every kind, dies and feeders, that a coin could be damaged in this fashion with just another coin on it cuz those collets are deep enough to where the allowances are kinda "iffy at best"....double dies are one thing, after damage quite another. this is just fascinating! It seems more likely that there could possibly be some pre-damage to a blank and yet,........I've used the same basic machinery to create other types of metalwork ( rounds and facet flats ) and I've seen all kinds of interesting effects but I cant fathom this particular error., It almost seems like it had to occur when a collet opens to let a coin out and another blank falls to the bottom and a strike occurs on the previous coin and yet I dont see any bending at the dges of the coin where it meets the proper diameter. This kinda thing must be a real pain in the butt to fix. I have no Idea what the feed rate is but it must be really high.

      "Al C." <bull102797@...> wrote:
      I know what you mean Mike, here is mine.

      http://i54.photobuc ket.com/albums/ g105/LALASD4/ 1971-DFlipoverDo ubleStrikeBrocka geI.jpg

      --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

      > I stopped following professional sports in 1974.
      > Saves a lot of time
      > and anguish.
      >
      > I too have a number of similar Denver brockages,
      > although they're all
      > double-strikes. A triple-strike would have been
      > nice, but you can
      > spend a lifetime (and one's life savings) acquiring
      > every possible
      > combination and permutation. So I let it go. I
      > wonder if the Denver
      > presses during this period had some sort of
      > safeguard installed
      > causing the hammer die to back off a bit when
      > encountering a double
      > thickness. All I know is that you hardly see any
      > errors like this
      > before 1968 or after 1974. And you almost always
      > see them on dimes
      > and nickels. I only recall seeing one cent like
      > this, and I don't
      > know if it is from this time period.
      >
      > There are lots of error "streaks" that beg
      > explanation. Like
      > elliptical strike clips among zinc cents from 1989 -
      > 1994.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com,
      > "Al C."
      > <bull102797@ ...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I totally forgot about that one, I was going to
      > bid
      > > but the Padres game got me too excited and it went
      > > little high for me since I have a 1971-d
      > already.:)

      http://searchmarket ing.yahoo. com/

      Got a little couch potato?