Re: Observation from the article about SLQ laminations in the Jul/Aug Errorscope

  • portpere
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
      Responding to Mike's comment on the fantasy world of coin
      grading...Even after all of my recent bad experiences with 3rd party
      ignorance, I may still deal with them. I was informed that a certain
      high value coin would not crossover at the same grade at NGC due to
      spots, which are minimal on the coin in question. I am then directed
      to NCS, who tells me that they can "probably" remove the spots, but
      cannot guarantee crossover and that it might possibly lower the
      grade. These two (NGC and NCS) are the same company, is this a
      conflict? With many thousands of dollars in the balance, it seems no
      action is better than rolling the dice in the world of make believe.
      I'm sure a few members here have taken a chance and wondered what
      their experience was.
      Thnaks,
      John--- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
      Diamond" <mdia1@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for your observations. Yet more evidence that assigned
      grades
      > are an exercise in make-believe.
      >
      > Frank Leone would undoubtedly have Robert Knauss' e-mail address,
      so
      > I suggest you send this information on to Frank at flrc@...
      >
      > I've seen some of the conservation work that NCS does. The last
      coin
      > I saw -- an off-metal Lincoln cent -- originally had an attractive,
      > natural luster that was admittedly somewhat dull. After the NCS
      > treatment it had a ghastly sheen to it that looked quite unnatural.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, seanqueue
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm not sure how to get hold of Robert Knauss to tell him
      directly,
      > so
      > > I'll just post this here. There are two photos on Page 20, both
      > > images were taken from the Heritage archives. Robert lists them
      as
      > > two distinct lamination errors, but they are actually different
      > photos
      > > of the same coin, the die markers are unmistakable.
      > >
      > > When the coin looked like the bottom photo, it was in an ANACS
      MS61
      > > holder and sold in July 2006 for $126.50. Sometime after that it
      > was
      > > either dipped and resubmitted to NGC, or sent to NCS for
      > > "conservation". The top photo shows the same coin now in a NGC
      MS63