True smorgasbord

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2007
      (Uploaded to the Default Folder x 2 Pic's – comparatives of same year,
      1998, UK 50 Pence normal strike and the Error coin).

      Within the realm of UK errors there is a true smorgasbord of wrong
      planchet errors to dine on.

      Here, what should be a 7 multi-sided 50 Pence coin, I happen chanced
      into an error which is instead completely circular. It weighs 4.90
      grams and appears to be Stain-Less steel, (Magnetic). It is very
      reminiscing of the ONE Rupee Indian coin of this year, 1998.

      While much effort has been spent researching the many variations of
      blanks and possible error coins struck by the Royal British Mint, I
      happened across an enlightening resource.

      Here is the link, which are reports in PDF format and is available to
      the general public. It outlines in particular the number of countries
      that the Royal British Mint has contracted to either supply die
      struck coins, or merely the blanks. While their writing is sometimes
      perplexing, it is easy enough to understand.

      http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/AnnualReports/AnnualReports.aspx

      It is no wonder the plethora of errors, and different combinations of,
      that one may encounter when collecting world errors. I won't give the
      numbers; I will let you read about it yourself as a mystery to be solved.

      Jeff