Possible die trial/weak strike

  • seanqueue
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2002
      Hello,

      I just posted in the 'weak strikes or die trials' folder a pic of a
      1988 cent I received recently as part of a large lot. I'm familiar
      enough with filled die strikes to think this coin might be a true die
      trial, or as Mike D would correct me, a victim of insufficient die
      approximation.

      I do not have the weight of the piece, but from the full rims it does
      not look like as though the surfaces are altered. I know this is a
      difficult item to authenticate even in person, nevermind from a lousy
      scan, but I'm interested in opinions from the group.

      Thanks in advance,

      Sean Reynolds
      CONECA #N-2090
    • dermestid
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2002
        It's difficult to tell from the scan whether this is a weak strike or
        a cent struck through "grease" on both faces.

        The well-formed rims are inconsistent with a weak strike. Take a
        look at the rim/edge junction. If there is a right angle, then that
        would support a "grease strike" hypothesis. If you can find a bevel
        separating the rim from the edge, that would tend to support a weak
        strike scenario.

        As you say, a coin like this often requires an up-close examination.