Massive die gouge or a fake?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 21, 2007
      Could be either:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250155566764

      I'll know once I get it. Ridges like this can be produced by dragging
      a thin blade through the metal at a shallow angle. A few months ago I
      had to return a Jefferson nickel with just such an alteration. I'd say
      this one is 50/50.
    • portpere
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22, 2007
        I'll go 75/25 towards real. The point of Washingtons bust that is
        bisected by the "line" does not seem to show significant remnants of
        the gouge/crack. That would make sense if the die gouge is deep, but
        not deep enough to affect that element. It does affect the lettering
        which is less incuse on the die.
        John

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
          The photo was deceptive. It was just a big ol' scratch. I'll try to
          get a refund.

          <mdia1@...> wrote:

          > Could be either:
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250155566764
          >
          > I'll know once I get it. Ridges like this can be produced by
          dragging
          > a thin blade through the metal at a shallow angle. A few months ago
          > had to return a Jefferson nickel with just such an alteration. I'd
          say
          > this one is 50/50.

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
            Bummer

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
              Yeah, especially since the seller refused to provide a refund. An
              exchange of negative feedbacks is unavoidable. Still, it was worth the
              small gamble. I've made bigger blunders.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
              <jylitalo@...> wrote:

              > Bummer

              > <mdia1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The photo was deceptive. It was just a big ol' scratch. I'll try
              > > get a refund.
            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
                For the small outlay of money, as you pointed out, it probably isn't
                worth the headaches pursuing a refund with Pay-Pal.

                Not to belay the topic further, I did get a full Refund, including
                shipping from my own mistake with the counterfeit IHC from a few
                months ago. The seller was a wise-ass, and a crook in the truest
                sense and we certainly exchanged negative comments.

                Something else I learned, if the Pay-pal logo states in an auction
                that it is covered up to $2,000.00, they are good for up to that
                amount (in case anyone ever has to go this route for a return). I was
                credited in full after they ruled in my favor, (over $400.00).

                Even now with all of it resolved, the bitter after-taste of my
                experience promises to linger long after.

                Experience is a hard teacher, no doubt.

                -- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond"
                <mdia1@...> wrote:

                > Yeah, especially since the seller refused to provide a refund. An
                > exchange of negative feedbacks is unavoidable. Still, it was worth the
                > small gamble. I've made bigger blunders.
                >
                > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
                > <jylitalo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Bummer
              • Rafael
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
                  Mike
                  You're right when it comes to an exchange of negative comments and it's gotten me nowhere. What has worked for me is a query to eBay on the merits of the seller's guarantee not on the genuineness of the error. Error forensics is not one of eBay's strongest fields. Seller's guarantees sure is.
                  Try explaining to eBay your views on the falseness of the error but base your claim on the seller's money return guarantee.
                  Maybe you know all this but it happens to have worked for me. Maybe they will take out the rogue seller from eBay and, if they do so, you will not get a negative feedback. On the other hand, if they do not straighten the situation, you can let the case slide by and not get a negative either.
                  Just an idea, my friend. Hope you solve this to your advantage.
                  Rafael

                  <jylitalo@.. .> wrote:

                  > Bummer
                  >
                  > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Diamond"
                  > <mdia1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The photo was deceptive. It was just a big ol' scratch. I'll try
                  > > get a refund.

                • portpere
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
                    Sometimes you just have to do it. A matter of priciple. I have given
                    and rcvd 2 negatives from sellers who either misrepresented their
                    item or never sent it. One of them is no longer registered (big
                    surprise) and the other changed his user name. Still, the negatives
                    they gave me for questioning their business practices remain.
                    John
                    <jylitalo@...> wrote:

                    > For the small outlay of money, as you pointed out, it probably isn't
                    > worth the headaches pursuing a refund with Pay-Pal.
                    >
                    > Not to belay the topic further, I did get a full Refund, including
                    > shipping from my own mistake with the counterfeit IHC from a few
                    > months ago. The seller was a wise-ass, and a crook in the truest
                    > sense and we certainly exchanged negative comments.
                    >
                    > Something else I learned, if the Pay-pal logo states in an auction
                    > that it is covered up to $2,000.00, they are good for up to that
                    > amount (in case anyone ever has to go this route for a return). I
                    was
                    > credited in full after they ruled in my favor, (over $400.00).
                    >
                    > Even now with all of it resolved, the bitter after-taste of my
                    > experience promises to linger long after.
                    >
                    > Experience is a hard teacher, no doubt.
                    >

                    > -- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond"
                    > <mdia1@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Yeah, especially since the seller refused to provide a refund.
                    An
                    > > exchange of negative feedbacks is unavoidable. Still, it was
                    worth the
                    > > small gamble. I've made bigger blunders.
                    > >
                    > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
                    > > <jylitalo@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Bummer

                  • dbrhhock
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                      I have found one of these, can promise it is not from a razor blade.
                      Had a hard time getting the scan to show it all, (light from scanner
                      direction is overly frustrating to me).
                      Picture is in the default album.
                      Deborah

                    • mdia1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                        In a message dated 9/4/2007 2:33:38 PM Central Daylight Time, dbrhhock@... writes:
                        I have found one of these, can promise it is not from a razor blade.
                        Had a hard time getting the scan to show it all, (light from scanner
                        direction is overly frustrating to me).
                        Picture is in the default album.
                        Deborah
                        Your 1999-D cent seems to have a few faint die gouges or die scrapes.  The 1969-D cent was mangled outside the Mint.

                        Mike