1964 nickel with split collar

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
      Here's an unusual collar break:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180144137507

      It's not a collar cud per se. The working face of the collar is still
      all there. Instead, the collar split in two and the two sides spread
      apart. No one met the reserve, so there's no telling how much the
      seller thinks it's worth.
    • Al C.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
        Givern that it is a 1964, which we know anything could
        happen that year, I don't think it is that interesting
        but the split is kind of large.

        --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

        > Here's an unusual collar break:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180144137507

        > It's not a collar cud per se. The working face of
        > the collar is still
        > all there. Instead, the collar split in two and the
        > two sides spread
        > apart. No one met the reserve, so there's no
        > telling how much the
        > seller thinks it's worth.

        Need a vacation? Get great deals
        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
        http://travel.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
          I don't recall having seen a split collar this clear, this
          unambiguous, and this large before, so I find it interesting. I
          really should go back through my collection of collar cuds to see if
          any could be cryptic split collars. Perhaps some of those I've been
          categorizing as retained collar cuds could instead fall into this
          category.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C."

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2007
            I did manage to find in my collection a modest example of a bilateral
            split collar in a 1967 dime. I had mistakenly diagnosed it as a
            retained collar cud. I'd still like to obtain a whopper like this 1964
            nickel. If anybody has one and would be willing to part with it, I'd
            be happy to buy or trade for it.

            I'll be writing an article on collar cuds later this year, now that my
            thinking is clearer concerning these errors.