Re: VERY STRONG MISALIGNED DIE

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
      If the photos had been larger and clearer I'm sure it would have sold
      for a lot more. The reverse face may be damaged, but it's hard to tell
      for sure from the crappy photo.

      This coin probably was a 1966 cent, but the last digit is cut off.
      1966 produced a bumper crop of major misaligned die errors in Lincoln
      cents. I have 196- cent that's just as misaligned in the same
      direction and it may have come from the same die pair.

      I only have one cent (2000) and one nickel (1983-P) with larger
      horizontal misalignments of the hammer die. I think the buyer got a
      nice bargain.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
      <numismistake@...> wrote:

      > I thought misaligned die strikes were inexpensive, but this
      > extraordinary example has almost a full date and is about 15% or so
      > misaligned obverse:
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/23oowh
      >
      > I wimped out and bid weakly on it. I see that Mike also tried but was
      > still outbid. I think that $56 is still a realistic price for it.
      I've
      > never seen one this far off...Nice coin.

    • Howard Spindel
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
        At 07:16 PM 8/5/2007, Marc wrote:

        http://tinyurl.com/23oowh

        I wimped out and bid weakly on it.

        My bidding philosophy is that the magnitude of the bid makes a big difference.  If I overpaid $25-50 on this piece but I really wanted it, I wouldn't care.  Overpaying by hundreds or thousands can hurt - that's where you want to be careful.

        I never worry about overpaying by relatively small amounts for coins I want - a philosophy not restricted to error coins.

        Howard

      • Marc
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
          It's not that I really wimped out on the coin, Howard, but that I
          really did not know how much to bid on it. I have about 20 different
          MAD's, but none this far off. Many of those cost less than $15.

          When bidding in uncharted waters, I frequently underbid due to lack of
          knowledge, and also misunderstanding the 'new' market. In this case,
          when I saw 2 bidders almost double my bid, I realized that I was way
          off base. However, when I see something that I can't live without, I
          frequently go overboard with my bid.

          As far as hundreds or thousands of dollars...I'm too small a fish to
          enter that pool. I'm celebrating my 25th anniversary this month, and I
          want to try to make it to 50 in one piece....Marc
        • Al C.
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
            I am the same way. :)

            --- Marc <numismistake@...> wrote:

            > It's not that I really wimped out on the coin,
            > Howard, but that I
            > really did not know how much to bid on it. I have
            > about 20 different
            > MAD's, but none this far off. Many of those cost
            > less than $15.
            >
            > When bidding in uncharted waters, I frequently
            > underbid due to lack of
            > knowledge, and also misunderstanding the 'new'
            > market. In this case,
            > when I saw 2 bidders almost double my bid, I
            > realized that I was way
            > off base. However, when I see something that I can't
            > live without, I
            > frequently go overboard with my bid.
            >
            > As far as hundreds or thousands of dollars...I'm too
            > small a fish to
            > enter that pool. I'm celebrating my 25th anniversary
            > this month, and I
            > want to try to make it to 50 in one piece....Marc

            http://tv.yahoo.com/
          • portpere
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
              You guys ain't kidding. I'm married 23 years and try to hide my coin
              dealings the best that I can. Occassionally, when my wife finds out I
              paid a large sum for a "stupid" (lol) coin, It's off to the mall to
              get double that back in shoes, purses and the like. Push comes to
              shove, she wins over my hobby...every time...whether I like it or not.
              Cheers,
              John
              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C."

              ______________Ready for the edge of your seat?
              > http://tv.yahoo.com/

            • Marc
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
                Al and John...Here's the difference for me. When the wife buys up the
                clothes dept. at the mall, I point out that we give lots of her old
                clothes to charity for a minimal tax deductable receipt. But when I
                part with lots of my old coins, I multiply what I spent on them back
                then.

                It helps keep the marriage going, I guess....Marc
              • Travis Bolton
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2007
                  I would love to chime in on this (about spouces). My girlfriend refers
                  to errors as "dead little pieces of metal" among other choice words
                  frequently. We have been together a few years now but I got lucky in
                  that I collected errors before we got together. So, it came along with
                  me. I have accomplished one thing though, I got her to admit she has a
                  favorite error type, brockage. She wants a puppy, I tell her we should
                  name the dog....brockage....or brock for short. LOL, she hates when I
                  say that.
                  ---Travis