VERY STRONG MISALIGNED DIE

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
      I thought misaligned die strikes were inexpensive, but this
      extraordinary example has almost a full date and is about 15% or so
      misaligned obverse:

      http://tinyurl.com/23oowh

      I wimped out and bid weakly on it. I see that Mike also tried but was
      still outbid. I think that $56 is still a realistic price for it. I've
      never seen one this far off...Nice coin.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
        If the photos had been larger and clearer I'm sure it would have sold
        for a lot more. The reverse face may be damaged, but it's hard to tell
        for sure from the crappy photo.

        This coin probably was a 1966 cent, but the last digit is cut off.
        1966 produced a bumper crop of major misaligned die errors in Lincoln
        cents. I have 196- cent that's just as misaligned in the same
        direction and it may have come from the same die pair.

        I only have one cent (2000) and one nickel (1983-P) with larger
        horizontal misalignments of the hammer die. I think the buyer got a
        nice bargain.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"
        <numismistake@...> wrote:

        > I thought misaligned die strikes were inexpensive, but this
        > extraordinary example has almost a full date and is about 15% or so
        > misaligned obverse:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/23oowh
        >
        > I wimped out and bid weakly on it. I see that Mike also tried but was
        > still outbid. I think that $56 is still a realistic price for it.
        I've
        > never seen one this far off...Nice coin.

      • Howard Spindel
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
          At 07:16 PM 8/5/2007, Marc wrote:

          http://tinyurl.com/23oowh

          I wimped out and bid weakly on it.

          My bidding philosophy is that the magnitude of the bid makes a big difference.  If I overpaid $25-50 on this piece but I really wanted it, I wouldn't care.  Overpaying by hundreds or thousands can hurt - that's where you want to be careful.

          I never worry about overpaying by relatively small amounts for coins I want - a philosophy not restricted to error coins.

          Howard

        • Marc
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
            It's not that I really wimped out on the coin, Howard, but that I
            really did not know how much to bid on it. I have about 20 different
            MAD's, but none this far off. Many of those cost less than $15.

            When bidding in uncharted waters, I frequently underbid due to lack of
            knowledge, and also misunderstanding the 'new' market. In this case,
            when I saw 2 bidders almost double my bid, I realized that I was way
            off base. However, when I see something that I can't live without, I
            frequently go overboard with my bid.

            As far as hundreds or thousands of dollars...I'm too small a fish to
            enter that pool. I'm celebrating my 25th anniversary this month, and I
            want to try to make it to 50 in one piece....Marc
          • Al C.
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
              I am the same way. :)

              --- Marc <numismistake@...> wrote:

              > It's not that I really wimped out on the coin,
              > Howard, but that I
              > really did not know how much to bid on it. I have
              > about 20 different
              > MAD's, but none this far off. Many of those cost
              > less than $15.
              >
              > When bidding in uncharted waters, I frequently
              > underbid due to lack of
              > knowledge, and also misunderstanding the 'new'
              > market. In this case,
              > when I saw 2 bidders almost double my bid, I
              > realized that I was way
              > off base. However, when I see something that I can't
              > live without, I
              > frequently go overboard with my bid.
              >
              > As far as hundreds or thousands of dollars...I'm too
              > small a fish to
              > enter that pool. I'm celebrating my 25th anniversary
              > this month, and I
              > want to try to make it to 50 in one piece....Marc

              http://tv.yahoo.com/
            • portpere
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
                You guys ain't kidding. I'm married 23 years and try to hide my coin
                dealings the best that I can. Occassionally, when my wife finds out I
                paid a large sum for a "stupid" (lol) coin, It's off to the mall to
                get double that back in shoes, purses and the like. Push comes to
                shove, she wins over my hobby...every time...whether I like it or not.
                Cheers,
                John
                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C."

                ______________Ready for the edge of your seat?
                > http://tv.yahoo.com/

              • Marc
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
                  Al and John...Here's the difference for me. When the wife buys up the
                  clothes dept. at the mall, I point out that we give lots of her old
                  clothes to charity for a minimal tax deductable receipt. But when I
                  part with lots of my old coins, I multiply what I spent on them back
                  then.

                  It helps keep the marriage going, I guess....Marc
                • Travis Bolton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 7, 2007
                    I would love to chime in on this (about spouces). My girlfriend refers
                    to errors as "dead little pieces of metal" among other choice words
                    frequently. We have been together a few years now but I got lucky in
                    that I collected errors before we got together. So, it came along with
                    me. I have accomplished one thing though, I got her to admit she has a
                    favorite error type, brockage. She wants a puppy, I tell her we should
                    name the dog....brockage....or brock for short. LOL, she hates when I
                    say that.
                    ---Travis