Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: One of my favorite eBay coins now being listed

  • jeff ylitalo
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2 4:47 PM
      Hey John,

      I've collected and studied SBA dollars for awhile. Several sealed mint bags I
      went thru from 79 and 80 D,P and S mints yielded toned coins. Some were eerily
      the same tone/color as a Sac dollar. Some of them toned a dark blue, or
      sometimes rose shaded colors. All were clad. I turned most of them back into
      the bank several years ago, except for errors type coins.

      Jeff

      --- portpere <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > As usual, you guys get a discussion going and I have to go and dig
      > out that type and see what I've got. I have a 1981 S Type 1 SBA
      > Dollar, slabbed by NGC PF68UCAM that is the same exact color as a
      > Sacagawea Proof. Am I nuts, or is this normal. The Saca's did not
      > come out until 2000, and why would NGC slab it if it was something
      > abnormal. Sorry if I am wasting your time with info I should know,
      > but it really got me going.
      > John
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, alscoins
      > <no_reply@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Rich,
      > >
      > > The person's feedback is over 6 months old. I also tried comparing
      > > his coin to the one in the Heritage auction.
      > >
      > > Allan
      > > http://www.alscoins.com
      > >
      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich
      > Schemmer"
      > > <RichErrors@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > For 25k and the seller has only 34 feedbacks... I sure would feel
      > > > better if this coin was certified by NGC / PCGS ( and only 10-12k)
      > > >
      > > > Thanx
      > > > Rich Schemmer
      > > > Rich Schemmer Error Coins
      > > > http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php
      > > >
      > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, alscoins

      > > > 1999
      > > this a
      > > an is
      > it.

    • portpere
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2 4:59 PM
        Thanks Jeff, I was worried I might have to safe deposit the coin.
        Anyway, I took a photo of the slabbed one next to an unopened 1979
        proof set and wiil post it in the default album. No color correction
        taken in daylight. Check it out,
        John
        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jeff ylitalo

        ______________
        > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
        you all the tools to get online.

      • portpere
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2 5:04 PM
          By the way, maybe I should list on eBay starting at $10K. It is
          slabbed by NGC...lol.

          ______________
          > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
          you all the tools to get online.

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2 5:30 PM
            The lower SBA proof looks frosted, while the other seems deep cameo
            with mirror surfaces. I suppose they can all tone differntly over time.

            I'm not so much of a nut when it comes to proof designations, but
            thats what it looks like to me.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, portpere
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Jeff, I was worried I might have to safe deposit the coin.
            > Anyway, I took a photo of the slabbed one next to an unopened 1979
            > proof set and wiil post it in the default album. No color correction
            > taken in daylight. Check it out,
            > John
          • portpere
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 3 8:49 AM
              Jeff,
              You are 100% correct in your assessment. I have added another photo
              to the default album to show the similarity with the Sacagawea. Did
              not have a slabbed Saca Proof, so this SMS coin will have to do for
              now. It is impressive to see the two together and I would think that
              an unscrupulous seller might hook a few fish with something like
              this. Now I want to add a nice frosty slabbed SBA Proof and a slabbed
              Saca proof as a comparison set. Any bluish toned SBA's still out
              there?