One of my favorite eBay coins now being listed

  • alscoins
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
      http://tinyurl.com/275z7v

      I really am not sure what this person is selling as he pictured a 1999
      $1 obverse SBA an the reverse of an Ike dollar. He is calling this a
      transitional. He mentioned that a similar coin sold for $25,000 an is
      mentioned in http://www.minterrornews.com But, I cannot find it.

      Allan
      http://www.alscoins.com
    • Al C.
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
        Interesting, that just looks like a regular dollar to
        me.

        --- alscoins <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > http://tinyurl.com/275z7v
        >
        > I really am not sure what this person is selling as
        > he pictured a 1999
        > $1 obverse SBA an the reverse of an Ike dollar. He
        > is calling this a
        > transitional. He mentioned that a similar coin sold
        > for $25,000 an is
        > mentioned in http://www.minterrornews.com But, I
        > cannot find it.
        >
        > Allan
        > http://www.alscoins.com

        Got a little couch potato?
      • Norm Higgs
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
          That is a normal SBA reverse, not an Ike reverse. The image on both is
          essentially the same just a different size.

          What the seller claims this item to be is a an SBA dollar struck on a
          golden Sac planchet.

          --
          Norm Higgs
          http://forbiddenpc.com

          Al C. wrote:
          > Interesting, that just looks like a regular dollar to
          > me.
          >

          > --- alscoins <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >

          >> http://tinyurl.com/275z7v
          >>
          >> I really am not sure what this person is selling as
          >> he pictured a 1999
          >> $1 obverse SBA an the reverse of an Ike dollar. He
          >> is calling this a
          >> transitional. He mentioned that a similar coin sold
          >> for $25,000 an is
          >> mentioned in http://www.minterrornews.com But, I
          >> cannot find it.
          >>
          >> Allan
          >> http://www.alscoins.com

        • fred_weinberg
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C."
            <bull102797@...> wrote:

            I believe there's a PCGS-Certified
            example in the upcoming Heritage ANA
            Auction....

            (1999 SBA Dollar Struck on a Sac. Dollar Planchet)

            ______________
            > Got a little couch potato?
            > http://search.yahoo.com/search?
            fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
              It's possible that the auction coin is not a transitional error but
              is, instead, an SBA dollar struck on a planchet that was improperly
              annealed (e.g., "copper wash", "sintered plating"). It also could
              have been plated outside the mint.

              A detailed examination under a microscope, and an examination of the
              edge, would be essential. That goes for all alleged SBA's struck on
              Sac planchets. The copper core should be ordinarily be
              distinguishable from the clad layers in a genuine example. In an
              improperly annealed planchet, the core not distinguishable.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C."
              > <bull102797@> wrote:
              > >
              > I believe there's a PCGS-Certified
              > example in the upcoming Heritage ANA
              > Auction....
              >
              > (1999 SBA Dollar Struck on a Sac. Dollar Planchet)
              >
              > > Interesting, that just looks like a regular dollar to
              > > me.

              > > --- alscoins <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > >
              > > > http://tinyurl.com/275z7v
              > > >
              > > > I really am not sure what this person is selling as
              > > > he pictured a 1999
              > > > $1 obverse SBA an the reverse of an Ike dollar. He
              > > > is calling this a
              > > > transitional. He mentioned that a similar coin sold
              > > > for $25,000 an is
              > > > mentioned in http://www.minterrornews.com But, I
              > > > cannot find it.
              > > >
              > > > Allan
              > > > http://www.alscoins.com
            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                This is also a STRONG argument as to why each ERROR coin should be
                weighed, and the weight always annotated or remarked upon.

                This action would eliminate my ever having to have to crack an error
                coin out of its slab to determine it's authenticity (On many types of
                errors).

                This small, yet always important element to determine authenticity
                seems to be constantly over-looked. (THE weight)

                It should become a standard, regardless of the ERROR type.

                I cannot stress it enough. (I for one, would have many less fragments
                of splintered plastic shards imbedded in my fingers and palms of my
                hands)

                :^)

                Jeff

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                  Sac and SBA dollars weigh the same, and unless plating is very thick,
                  there'd be no siginificant difference between these and a plated
                  coin, either.

                  But I agree that slabs interfere with the establishment of
                  authenticity. I've passed up many a coin because I didn't trust the
                  slab label and had no way to verify its claim. Once you know your
                  stuff, raw is the way to go.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
                  <jylitalo@...> wrote:

                  > This is also a STRONG argument as to why each ERROR coin should be
                  > weighed, and the weight always annotated or remarked upon.
                  >
                  > This action would eliminate my ever having to have to crack an error
                  > coin out of its slab to determine it's authenticity (On many types
                  of
                  > errors).
                  >
                  > This small, yet always important element to determine authenticity
                  > seems to be constantly over-looked. (THE weight)
                  >
                  > It should become a standard, regardless of the ERROR type.
                  >
                  > I cannot stress it enough. (I for one, would have many less
                  fragments
                  > of splintered plastic shards imbedded in my fingers and palms of my
                  > hands)
                  >
                  > :^)
                  >
                  > Jeff

                  > <mdia1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > It's possible that the auction coin is not a transitional error
                  but
                  > > is, instead, an SBA dollar struck on a planchet that was
                  improperly
                  > > annealed (e.g., "copper wash", "sintered plating"). It also
                  could
                  > > have been plated outside the mint.
                  > >
                  > > A detailed examination under a microscope, and an examination of
                  the
                  > > edge, would be essential. That goes for all alleged SBA's struck
                  on
                  > > Sac planchets. The copper core should be ordinarily be
                  > > distinguishable from the clad layers in a genuine example. In an
                  > > improperly annealed planchet, the core not distinguishable.

                • Jerry Jaske

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                      Yes, of course I did know this.

                      With a weight, I am given assurance, and an ever so important facet of
                      TRUST.

                      Now, since this is again being spoken of for the ump-teenth TIME,
                      Grading Services/Authentication services that are out there, need to
                      make it happen. It is such a small thing. Whether it was for this
                      coin, or any other ERROR coin.

                      It should be an ABSOLUTE standard.

                      Are the cherry-pickers, and smart/educated error collectors always to
                      be left as "point man" and incur the most battle damage?

                      When an incomplete or incorrect diagnosis is made, we are the ones who
                      DO and must establish whether an error coin is either authentic or
                      genuine.

                      I pay for Error Authenticity to these services and they cannot even do
                      this for me? !!! (GIVE ME A WEIGHT)

                      I say both NO and that it is entirely unacceptable that this is NOT
                      part of their provisions.

                      Fonts can be made SMALL, very small. I use a 10X loupe all the time.
                      At least PRINT the weight, even if you need a LOUPE to read it. When
                      I get the coin that is encased in a sonically sealed tomb I will do
                      what is needed to read your notation.

                      Jeff

                      (PS, if you have ever been cheated, lied to, and robbed, you know what
                      I am talking about. If you have yet for this to happen to you....come
                      back and read this post when it does.)

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                        http://tinyurl.com/35cp7z

                        Now there are two!

                        Allan
                        http://www.alscoins.com

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                          Not surprising, there are millions out there.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                            Fred (PCGS) puts the weight (or a percentage of the normal weight) on
                            the slab for some errors, but not nearly all those that would benefit
                            from it. NGC also puts the weight on the slab for some errors, but
                            again, far fewer than we'd like.

                            Of course, even if a weight is printed on the label, there's no
                            guarantee that it is correct. Typos, transposed digits, incorrect
                            units, and other snafus can corrupt the information.

                            Basically, you're at the mercy of the grading service. Personally, I
                            only make a purchase on the basis of what I can verify. Trust never
                            enters into the equation.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                              I need to trust people. I trust you, I trust Fred and I TRUST myself.

                              No problem There.

                              Ok then,

                              Bottom Line, what is it? I cannot even rely on my own diagnosis? I
                              have to second guess everything.

                              NO.

                              It should be a standard (RECORDED and VERIFIED WEIGHT)

                              Jeff

                              <mdia1@...> wrote:

                              > Fred (PCGS) puts the weight (or a percentage of the normal weight) on
                              > the slab for some errors, but not nearly all those that would benefit
                              > from it. NGC also puts the weight on the slab for some errors, but
                              > again, far fewer than we'd like.
                              >
                              > Of course, even if a weight is printed on the label, there's no
                              > guarantee that it is correct. Typos, transposed digits, incorrect
                              > units, and other snafus can corrupt the information.
                              >
                              > Basically, you're at the mercy of the grading service. Personally, I
                              > only make a purchase on the basis of what I can verify. Trust never
                              > enters into the equation.
                              >
                              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
                              > <jylitalo@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Yes, of course I did know this.
                              > >
                              > > With a weight, I am given assurance, and an ever so important facet
                              > of
                              > > TRUST.
                            • Rich Schemmer
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                                For 25k and the seller has only 34 feedbacks... I sure would feel
                                better if this coin was certified by NGC / PCGS ( and only 10-12k)

                                Thanx
                                Rich Schemmer
                                Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                                http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php

                                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, alscoins
                                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                > http://tinyurl.com/275z7v
                                >
                                > I really am not sure what this person is selling as he pictured a
                                1999
                                > $1 obverse SBA an the reverse of an Ike dollar. He is calling this a
                                > transitional. He mentioned that a similar coin sold for $25,000 an is
                                > mentioned in http://www.minterrornews.com But, I cannot find it.
                                >
                                > Allan
                                > http://www.alscoins.com

                              • alscoins
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                                  Rich,

                                  The person's feedback is over 6 months old. I also tried comparing
                                  his coin to the one in the Heritage auction.

                                  Allan
                                  http://www.alscoins.com

                                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Schemmer"
                                  <RichErrors@...> wrote:

                                  > For 25k and the seller has only 34 feedbacks... I sure would feel
                                  > better if this coin was certified by NGC / PCGS ( and only 10-12k)
                                  >
                                  > Thanx
                                  > Rich Schemmer
                                  > Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                                  > http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php
                                  >
                                  > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, alscoins
                                  > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://tinyurl.com/275z7v
                                  > >
                                  > > I really am not sure what this person is selling as he pictured
                                  > 1999
                                  > > $1 obverse SBA an the reverse of an Ike dollar. He is calling
                                  this a
                                  > > transitional. He mentioned that a similar coin sold for $25,000
                                  an is
                                  > > mentioned in http://www.minterrornews.com But, I cannot find it.
                                  > >
                                  > > Allan
                                  > > http://www.alscoins.com

                                • portpere
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                    As usual, you guys get a discussion going and I have to go and dig
                                    out that type and see what I've got. I have a 1981 S Type 1 SBA
                                    Dollar, slabbed by NGC PF68UCAM that is the same exact color as a
                                    Sacagawea Proof. Am I nuts, or is this normal. The Saca's did not
                                    come out until 2000, and why would NGC slab it if it was something
                                    abnormal. Sorry if I am wasting your time with info I should know,
                                    but it really got me going.
                                    John
                                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                    > Rich,
                                    >
                                    > The person's feedback is over 6 months old. I also tried comparing
                                    > his coin to the one in the Heritage auction.
                                    >
                                    > Allan
                                    > http://www.alscoins.com
                                    >
                                    > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich
                                    Schemmer"
                                    > <RichErrors@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > For 25k and the seller has only 34 feedbacks... I sure would feel
                                    > > better if this coin was certified by NGC / PCGS ( and only 10-12k)
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanx
                                    > > Rich Schemmer
                                    > > Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                                    > > http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, alscoins
                                    > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://tinyurl.com/275z7v
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I really am not sure what this person is selling as he pictured
                                    > > 1999
                                    > > > $1 obverse SBA an the reverse of an Ike dollar. He is calling
                                    > this a
                                    > > > transitional. He mentioned that a similar coin sold for $25,000
                                    > an is
                                    > > > mentioned in http://www.minterrornews.com But, I cannot find
                                    it.

                                    > > > Allan
                                    > > > http://www.alscoins.com

                                  • jeff ylitalo
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                      Hey John,

                                      I've collected and studied SBA dollars for awhile. Several sealed mint bags I
                                      went thru from 79 and 80 D,P and S mints yielded toned coins. Some were eerily
                                      the same tone/color as a Sac dollar. Some of them toned a dark blue, or
                                      sometimes rose shaded colors. All were clad. I turned most of them back into
                                      the bank several years ago, except for errors type coins.

                                      Jeff

                                      --- portpere <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      > As usual, you guys get a discussion going and I have to go and dig
                                      > out that type and see what I've got. I have a 1981 S Type 1 SBA
                                      > Dollar, slabbed by NGC PF68UCAM that is the same exact color as a
                                      > Sacagawea Proof. Am I nuts, or is this normal. The Saca's did not
                                      > come out until 2000, and why would NGC slab it if it was something
                                      > abnormal. Sorry if I am wasting your time with info I should know,
                                      > but it really got me going.
                                      > John
                                      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, alscoins
                                      > <no_reply@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Rich,
                                      > >
                                      > > The person's feedback is over 6 months old. I also tried comparing
                                      > > his coin to the one in the Heritage auction.
                                      > >
                                      > > Allan
                                      > > http://www.alscoins.com
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich
                                      > Schemmer"
                                      > > <RichErrors@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > For 25k and the seller has only 34 feedbacks... I sure would feel
                                      > > > better if this coin was certified by NGC / PCGS ( and only 10-12k)
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Thanx
                                      > > > Rich Schemmer
                                      > > > Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                                      > > > http://WWW.RichErrors.com/store.php
                                      > > >
                                      > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, alscoins

                                      > > > 1999
                                      > > this a
                                      > > an is
                                      > it.

                                    • portpere
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                        Thanks Jeff, I was worried I might have to safe deposit the coin.
                                        Anyway, I took a photo of the slabbed one next to an unopened 1979
                                        proof set and wiil post it in the default album. No color correction
                                        taken in daylight. Check it out,
                                        John
                                        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, jeff ylitalo

                                        ______________
                                        > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
                                        you all the tools to get online.

                                      • portpere
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                          By the way, maybe I should list on eBay starting at $10K. It is
                                          slabbed by NGC...lol.

                                          ______________

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                            The lower SBA proof looks frosted, while the other seems deep cameo
                                            with mirror surfaces. I suppose they can all tone differntly over time.

                                            I'm not so much of a nut when it comes to proof designations, but
                                            thats what it looks like to me.

                                            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, portpere
                                            <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                            > Thanks Jeff, I was worried I might have to safe deposit the coin.
                                            > Anyway, I took a photo of the slabbed one next to an unopened 1979
                                            > proof set and wiil post it in the default album. No color correction
                                            > taken in daylight. Check it out,
                                            > John
                                          • portpere
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                              Jeff,
                                              You are 100% correct in your assessment. I have added another photo
                                              to the default album to show the similarity with the Sacagawea. Did
                                              not have a slabbed Saca Proof, so this SMS coin will have to do for
                                              now. It is impressive to see the two together and I would think that
                                              an unscrupulous seller might hook a few fish with something like
                                              this. Now I want to add a nice frosty slabbed SBA Proof and a slabbed
                                              Saca proof as a comparison set. Any bluish toned SBA's still out
                                              there?