Re: Does Lightning Strike Twice? (Adams Errors)

    Message 1 of 13 , May 21, 2007
      Wow, Susan. That's quite a hard-hitting expose.

      So the sealed boxes don't have any date on them? Or the "First Day
      of Issue" designation ignores them?

      It's bad enough that millions of coins are struck well in advance of
      the day of release, making the designation rather pointless. But now
      you're talking about coins potentially struck after the day of
      release?!

      I've ripped on slabbed errors on numerous occasions over the last six
      years, but this was largely on the basis of description, diagnosis,
      and grade.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Headley"
      <galaxiana@...> wrote:

      > Allan,
      >
      > I have a write-up on my Web site that explains what "First Day of
      Issue" means, as well as explores some of PCGS's other hobby-killing
      practices.

      > http://coins.about.com/b/a/000112.htm
      >
      > The bottom line on "First Day of Issue" is that you could send the
      coins in 10 years from now, and still get the FDI designation!

      > Why does our hobby let PCGS get away with these dishonest
      designations like "First Strikes" and "First Day of Issue?"

      > Susan

      > Susan Headley
      > About.com Guide to Coins
      > http://coins.about.com
      > www.About.com
      > About.com is part of The New York Times Company
    • alscoins
      Message 2 of 13 , May 21, 2007
        Shouldn't the tag read "First Day of Release" as opposed to "First
        Day of Issue"? Or, is this a space problem for the tag. It would
        require two extra letters.

        Wait........weren't all the coins released on the same day?

        Allan
        http://www.alscoins.com