Red Circles on Pres Dollars

  • Susan Headley
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I got back from my trip to find a whole slew of bizarre error coin questions in my mailbox.  Most of them I can find answers to, thanks to the excellent references many of you publish, but one that has recurred a few times is the question about red circles on the Presidential Dollars.

      Has anybody here seen this?  These are red marks on the rim, sometimes in the full circumference of the coin, and are happening at some point following departure from the Mint and discovery in rolls.

      I have a theory about how this is happening, but first I'd like to know if I'm the only one getting these questions, plus any thoughts you might have about their origin.  To be clear, these coins are coming straight out of F. S. String special wrappers from bank-issued one-type rolls.  This is not copper residue or core showing through; it is bright red in color.  (Sorry no good photos to show, just a couple blurry ones, although I've seen these for sale on eBay, too.)

      Thanks!
      Susan

      Susan Headley
      About.com Guide to Coins
      http://coins.about.com
      www.About.com
      About.com is part of The New York Times Company

      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2007
        I haven't heard of or seen the phenomenon you refer to. But some
        months ago Coin World reported on some recent gold issues had
        occasional red staining due to a red oil on either the planchets or
        the die. The details have grown fuzzy for me, but Fred Weinberg
        should have a clearer recollection of this episode. He's at the
        Central States show in St. Louis right now.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Headley"