What is an "adjusted planchet"

    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2007

      Fred?  Anyone?

      Morgan

      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2007
        It suppose it means that the edge was filed down to bring the weight
        down to specifications, but why should this make the strike weak?

        <mdia1@...> wrote:

        > Fred? Anyone?
        >
        > Morgan
        > <http://www.davidlawrence.com/inventory/Viewitem.cfm?
        Inventory=196448&CF\
        > ID=3317632&CFTOKEN=f529e6e2f4620c33-A66A2C33-2BFC-0A80-
        302A632BC0D6BE3F>

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2007
          If anything, it is just slightly mis-aligned.

          I do not see any partial collar evidence.

          It is a very weak diagnostic at best.

          I suppose it could be a tapered planchet.

          Was this common during the period to file down a planchet to meet weight?

          If so, then I'am just ignorant and gladly admit it.

          What is the weight? If actual weight was available, then filing down
          of the planchet could be a possible conclusion.

          Again, and again......"weight", "weight", it is such a crucial
          element for a percise diagnostic.

          Jeff

          <mdia1@...> wrote:

          > It suppose it means that the edge was filed down to bring the weight
          > down to specifications, but why should this make the strike weak?

          > <mdia1@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Fred? Anyone?
          > >
          > > Morgan
          > > <http://www.davidlawrence.com/inventory/Viewitem.cfm?
          > Inventory=196448&CF\
          > > ID=3317632&CFTOKEN=f529e6e2f4620c33-A66A2C33-2BFC-0A80-
          > 302A632BC0D6BE3F>

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2007
            I do notice the argument of this coin not being mis-aligned, those
            traits typical to such are not evident.

            Filing down, or tapered then.

            It so, then it is all new to meeee, how they did things back in the
            days of 1883.

            I do have a close friend, he is 97 years old, maybe he can tell me.
            (but I fear he will think I've lost my mind).

            Jeff

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"