Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Cracked Edge

  • Adam Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2007
      WOW
      They had ALL KINDS of problems with these Washington Dollars.
      So they raised the edges w/o the coin being heated,
      then annealed them before the strike.
      That makes sense.

      On 5/5/07, Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

      This week's Coin World has an article by Tom DeLorey on the
      Washington dollars with cracked edges. He attributes it to a "hard
      upset". The blanks are sent through the upset mill without being
      annealed (heat-softened). As a result, the is metal hard and brittle
      and therefore prone to cracking. The planchets are annealed AFTER
      upsetting.

      This explanation makes complete sense to me.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Miller"
      <adammiller69@...> wrote:

      > Thank You Mike.
      > I've only seen one other on eBay,
      > and it's a buy now for $450.
      > But it's also dark in color.
      >

      > On 4/11/07, mdia1@... <mdia1@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > In a message dated 4/11/2007 4:06:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > > adammiller69@... writes:
      > >
      > > s this due to impurities in the alloy?
      > > (photo attached)
      > > It goes all the way around the coin.
      > >
      > > --
      > > God Bless,
      > > Adam Miller
      > >

      > > Very interesting. I've never seen a copper core crack up like
      that. The
      > > core is supposed to be pure copper and therefore relatively
      immune to
      > > problems like this. It's possibly due to impurities, but I can't
      say for
      > > sure. Nice find!
      > >
      > > Mike

      > > See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com/?