Re: Cracked Edge

  • mdia1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2007
      In a message dated 4/11/2007 4:06:04 AM Central Daylight Time, adammiller69@... writes:
      s this due to impurities in the alloy?
      (photo attached)
      It goes all the way around the coin.

      --
      God Bless,
      Adam Miller

      Very interesting.  I've never seen a copper core crack up like that.  The core is supposed to be pure copper and therefore relatively immune to problems like this.  It's possibly due to impurities, but I can't say for sure.  Nice find!

      Mike

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • Adam Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2007
        Thank You Mike.
        I've only seen one other on eBay,
        and it's a buy now for $450.
        But it's also dark in color.

        On 4/11/07, mdia1@... <mdia1@...> wrote:

        In a message dated 4/11/2007 4:06:04 AM Central Daylight Time, adammiller69@gmail.com writes:
        s this due to impurities in the alloy?
        (photo attached)
        It goes all the way around the coin.

        --
        God Bless,
        Adam Miller

        Very interesting.  I've never seen a copper core crack up like that.  The core is supposed to be pure copper and therefore relatively immune to problems like this.  It's possibly due to impurities, but I can't say for sure.  Nice find!

        Mike

        See what's free at AOL.com.

        --
        God Bless,
        Adam Miller

        Ozark Mountain Photography
        www.handsguidedbygod.com

        Kay's Gifts & More
        (Gifts, Electronics, Collectibles, & More)
        http://www.giftshopsavings.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2007
          This week's Coin World has an article by Tom DeLorey on the
          Washington dollars with cracked edges. He attributes it to a "hard
          upset". The blanks are sent through the upset mill without being
          annealed (heat-softened). As a result, the is metal hard and brittle
          and therefore prone to cracking. The planchets are annealed AFTER
          upsetting.

          This explanation makes complete sense to me.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Miller"
          <adammiller69@...> wrote:

          > Thank You Mike.
          > I've only seen one other on eBay,
          > and it's a buy now for $450.
          > But it's also dark in color.
          >

          > On 4/11/07, mdia1@... <mdia1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > In a message dated 4/11/2007 4:06:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
          > > adammiller69@... writes:
          > >
          > > s this due to impurities in the alloy?
          > > (photo attached)
          > > It goes all the way around the coin.
          > >
          > > --
          > > God Bless,
          > > Adam Miller
          > >

          > > Very interesting. I've never seen a copper core crack up like
          that. The
          > > core is supposed to be pure copper and therefore relatively
          immune to
          > > problems like this. It's possibly due to impurities, but I can't
          say for
          > > sure. Nice find!
          > >
          > > Mike

          > > See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com/?
          ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2007
            WOW
            They had ALL KINDS of problems with these Washington Dollars.
            So they raised the edges w/o the coin being heated,
            then annealed them before the strike.
            That makes sense.