Re: Washington Pres Dollar Missing Clad Layer

  • Rich Schemmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
      **>The lady I speak of is, indeed, Mary Chambers, in Westland,
      Michigan, and is the same auction Allan refers to as well (so there
      seems to be only the one on eBay at the moment.) With at least 4 or
      5 confirmed specimens it is clear that her coin is not unique, but
      still calling it "very rare" seems fair. ;)

      > Rare considering what has turned up SO Far? I garrantee there
      will be a bunch yet to turn up, It is an easy error to get past all
      the Mints screening methods/ I'm waiting for the 1st Large Clip, have
      seen 3 small one so far.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Headley"
      <galaxiana@...> wrote:

      > Thank you everyone for the reports of the missing clad layers. The
      lady I speak of is, indeed, Mary Chambers, in Westland, Michigan, and
      is the same auction Allan refers to as well (so there seems to be
      only the one on eBay at the moment.) With at least 4 or 5 confirmed
      specimens it is clear that her coin is not unique, but still calling
      it "very rare" seems fair. ;)

      > In other news, I featured the Error Coin News and Die Variety News
      in my weekly newsletter last night. I think both of these magazines
      are fantastic, and constitute a wonderful service to the hobby. Does
      anybody else publish a high-quality, free, online magazine of this
      type which should be included on my list?

      > Here's the link to my article on it, which was running as the lead
      on my home page over this past few days.
      > http://coins.about.com/b/a/000094.htm
      >
      > Susan

      > Susan Headley
      > About.com Guide to Coins
      > http://coins.about.com
      > www.About.com
      > About.com is part of The New York Times Company

      Dollar Missing Clad Layer

      > Fred- I bought one yesterday, missing the obv layer.
      >
      > Mike Byers
      > http://mikebyers.com
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Susan,
      > >
      > > I own one with the Obv. Manganese Layer Missing,
      > > and I've had another with the Rev. Layer Missing,
      > > but I couldn't buy it....
      > >
      > > That's two more confirmed pieces, and I'm sure
      > > there'll be more...In fact, I'll predict that
      > > there will be more Pres. Dollars with this error
      > > that there are of the Sac. Dollar - at least based
      > > on the how recently they've been released, and that
      > > I don't beleive any Sacagawea Missing Layers were
      > > even discovered for many months after their release
      > > in early 2000...
      > >
      > > Don't even get me started on the Blank Planchets......
      > >
      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
      Diamond"
      > > <mdia1@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > A few others have been reported. The following post is the most
      > > > recent information I have on the subject:
      > > >
      > > > http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?
      > > > catid=26&threadid=577553&highlight_key=y&keyword1=missing%20clad
      > > >
      > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Susan
      > > Headley"

      > me
      > > > that ended up certified by NGC as a Washington Dollar with a
      > > Missing
      > > > Reverse Clad Layer. I am writing up an article to describe the
      > > > journey of her find (she's a non-collector, young married woman
      > > with
      > > > two kids who bought a few rolls of dollars hoping to "get
      lucky"
      > > and
      > > > find an error,) and I was wondering if anybody knows whether
      any
      > > > other Missing Clad Layer errors have been verified for this
      > > > Washington Dollar. In other words, is her coin still unique?
      > (NGC
      > > > tells her she has the only one they've seen. I'm not a member
      of
      > > > PCGS's Club, so I can't check their files, even if they posted
      > > error
      > > > population counts (do they?))

      > look
      > > at
      > > > it.
      ViewItem&item=130097113766

      > -

    • seanqueue
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Schemmer"
        <RichErrors@...> wrote:

        > Rare considering what has turned up SO Far? I garrantee there
        > will be a bunch yet to turn up, It is an easy error to get past all
        > the Mints screening methods/ I'm waiting for the 1st Large Clip, have
        > seen 3 small one so far.

        Rich,

        I assume one of the three was this coin, which I won last week:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110106639289

        Did the others also turn up on ebay, or from another source? Do you
        think the price I paid for my example was reasonable?

        Finally, do you think the edge lettering process will prevent the
        really large clips from escaping in the first place? I'm thinking
        with the extra step in production dealing directly with the full rim,
        large clips will be culled at that stage, making them extremely rare.

        Sean Reynolds