Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] ? Under AM

  • mdia1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      In a message dated 3/31/2007 11:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time, adammiller69@... writes:

      It looks like the AM of AMERICA was struck over something.
      Any ideas?
      Could be a filament of some sort.  But I don't like the fact that it doesn't show up on the letter itself.

      Mike

      See what's free at AOL.com.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        On second glance, it actually looks like the filament is still
        embedded in the coin. However, one would still expect it (or its
        impression) to run across the top of the letter. Then again,
        effective striking pressure is lower here than in the field, so maybe
        it didn't leave an impression for that reason.

        _http://ph.groups.http://ph.http://ph.groupshttp://ph.groupshttp://ph.
        http://p
        > h.http_

        view/5c3b?b=21)

        > It looks like the AM of AMERICA was struck over something.
        > Any ideas?
        >

        > Could be a filament of some sort. But I don't like the fact that
        it doesn't
        > show up on the letter itself.
        >
        > Mike

        http://www.aol.com

      • Adam Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
          It does appear to still be embedded in the coin,
          but UNDER or IN the letters AM.
          At first glance, I thought it was a hair,
          so I tried to wipe it off, but it stayed put.
          It was then, that I looked at it through my 20X,
          and noticed it went under/through the AM.

          On 4/1/07, Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

          On second glance, it actually looks like the filament is still
          embedded in the coin. However, one would still expect it (or its
          impression) to run across the top of the letter. Then again,
          effective striking pressure is lower here than in the field, so maybe
          it didn't leave an impression for that reason.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com , mdia1@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 3/31/2007 11:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
          > adammiller69@... writes:

          _ http://ph.groups.http://ph.http://ph.groupshttp://ph.groupshttp://ph.
          http://p
          > h.http_

          view/5c3b?b=21)

          --
          God Bless,
          Adam Miller

          Ozark Mountain Photography
          www.handsguidedbygod.com

          Kay's Gifts & More
          (Gifts, Electronics, Collectibles, & More)
          http://www.giftshopsavings.com/
        • Jerry Jaske
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
            Could be that the missing section of filament?, wire?, thread? was  left on the coin struck just before this one.  The force of the strike could have cut the filament along the edge of the letter, leaving the remainder of the filament sticking to the flat field of the die.

            Adam Miller <adammiller69@...> wrote:
            It does appear to still be embedded in the coin,
            but UNDER or IN the letters AM.
            At first glance, I thought it was a hair,
            so I tried to wipe it off, but it stayed put.
            It was then, that I looked at it through my 20X,
            and noticed it went under/through the AM.

            On 4/1/07, Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
            On second glance, it actually looks like the filament is still
            embedded in the coin. However, one would still expect it (or its
            impression) to run across the top of the letter. Then again,
            effective striking pressure is lower here than in the field, so maybe
            it didn't leave an impression for that reason.

            --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com , mdia1@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 3/31/2007 11:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
            > adammiller69@ ... writes:

            _ http://ph.groups. http://ph. http://ph. groupshttp: //ph.groupshttp: //ph.
            http://p
            > h.http_