Re: Double struck Buffalo nickels?

  • magnus95
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2002
      Thanks for the ebay link to the franklin half - It's at Rich's page
      now listed at 12,000!!! He purchased it for 5300 though and it looks
      cleaned now. Must be the new "conservation" company. A beautiful coin
      though and would have been nice to have caught that auction! :P I'll
      have to wait till one of the other 2 surface. I can't bring myself to
      fork over a 6000 finder's fee - but perhaps to someone, it's worth
      it. Thanks again, it was the first I've seen.
      ~Magnus95

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., seanqueue <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., magnus95 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Has anyone ever seen one of these? 70% O/C on the 2nd strike
      perhaps?
      > > How about off center or double struck franklin halves? Just
      curious.
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > ~Joe S. (magnus95)
      >
      > I know of a double-struck Franklin, dated 1961-D, it was
      > offered in an off-line error coin auction with a $2,450 opening
      bid.
      > The second strike was 90% off-center at K-10, and the coin was
      > uncirculated. I dunno if it ever sold.
      >
      > There was also this beauty on eBay a few months ago, look quick
      before
      > it is no longer archived:
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1339914921
      >
      > Off the top of my head, I can't recall seeing of any double-struck
      > Buffalos lately. Maybe one of the 'big boys' has....
      >
      > HTH.
      >
      > Sean Reynolds
      > CONECA #N-2090
    • richerrors
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2002
        $6,000. Finders fee! someone metioned.. because I won the coin at
        $5,300 at auction! and curently is for sale at 12K. Does that same
        person relize I had a 9k max bid on the same coin and felt it was
        worth that much wholesale to myself as a retail dealer. One of 4
        known major high grade Off center Franklin 1/2 $.. Just purchased
        another only 20% O/C for nearly 5k, so the one I'm currently offering
        is 30% O/C was a STEAL at $5,300, sorry NO one else realized that!
        So that's what I feel the coin is worth with a POPULATION of "4"..
        When Opportunity arises, one most jump or another will!

        Thanx
        Rich
        Rich Schemmer Error Coins
        http:// WWW.RichErrors.com
      • alscoins
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2002
          Rich,

          With thirty years of experience as an errorist, do you really have to
          defend your position on an error coin? I would think a person might
          have the common sense to ask other members/dealers who have been
          around just as long these questions instead of making rude comments
          about a dealer's livelihood. The seller in this particular case
          received less than if offering it to a retailer.

          Internet sales are only a small percentage of the true market.

          Allan
          http://www.alscoins.com

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., richerrors <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > $6,000. Finders fee! someone metioned.. because I won the coin at
          > $5,300 at auction! and curently is for sale at 12K. Does that same
          > person relize I had a 9k max bid on the same coin and felt it was
          > worth that much wholesale to myself as a retail dealer. One of 4
          > known major high grade Off center Franklin 1/2 $.. Just purchased
          > another only 20% O/C for nearly 5k, so the one I'm currently
          offering
          > is 30% O/C was a STEAL at $5,300, sorry NO one else realized that!
          > So that's what I feel the coin is worth with a POPULATION of "4"..
          > When Opportunity arises, one most jump or another will!
          >
          > Thanx
          > Rich
          > Rich Schemmer Error Coins
          > http:// WWW.RichErrors.com
        • byersnc
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2002
            Als right, Rich. Don't defend your markup. The coin was a rip. I
            even offered you a SUBSTANTIAL proft and you turned me down !! Good
            luck selling the coin.

            Mike Byers http://www.byersnc.com
          • pwrwgndrvr
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 7, 2002
              Geez Rich, 6 grand isnt much, what's the prob?
              I paid 29k for my mule on ebay and recently sold it for 75k.
              Now THAT is a finder's fee!
              Good luck with it.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., byersnc <no_reply@y...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 10, 2002
                Good point, I would have jumped if I'd seen it. :P If anything, error
                coins are hot hot hot and if you get 12,000 for it, I'm sure we'll
                see it again for 15,000 or more soon enough. Nice coin though and
                just surprised how fast it shot up in price.

                wrote:
                > $6,000. Finders fee! someone metioned.. because I won the coin at
                > $5,300 at auction! and curently is for sale at 12K. Does that same
                > person relize I had a 9k max bid on the same coin and felt it was
                > worth that much wholesale to myself as a retail dealer. One of 4
                > known major high grade Off center Franklin 1/2 $.. Just purchased
                > another only 20% O/C for nearly 5k, so the one I'm currently
                offering
                > is 30% O/C was a STEAL at $5,300, sorry NO one else realized that!
                > So that's what I feel the coin is worth with a POPULATION of "4"..
                > When Opportunity arises, one most jump or another will!
                >
                > Thanx
                > Rich
                > Rich Schemmer Error Coins
                > http:// WWW.RichErrors.com
              • seanqueue
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 10, 2002
                  > > Has anyone ever seen one of these? 70% O/C on the 2nd strike perhaps?
                  > > How about off center or double struck franklin halves? Just curious.
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > ~Joe S. (magnus95)
                  >
                  > I know of a double-struck Franklin, dated 1961-D, it was
                  > offered in an off-line error coin auction with a $2,450 opening bid.
                  > The second strike was 90% off-center at K-10, and the coin was
                  > uncirculated. I dunno if it ever sold.

                  I just received my prices realized and this coin is still available
                  for the opening bid, it did not sell in the last auction. Joe, you
                  can contact me off-list at sean.reynolds@... if you want contact
                  information for the seller.

                  Sean Reynolds
                  CONECA #N-2090