dollars with edge lettering on wrong planchets

  • Travis Bolton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2007
      I am thinking out loud here. Would a Presidential dollar on a wrong
      planchet still receive edge-lettering? I wonder if the edge-lettering
      machine would even accept a planchet smaller than a dollar. Perhaps the
      device itself can actually filter out errors? .........???
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2007
        Hey Travis,

        It is doubtful.

        Most commonly, with edge inscribed coins, they are inscribed before
        they ever reach the striking chamber.

        Supposedly, (anyone correct me here if I am misinformed), this coin is
        die-struck first, and then the US Mint is inscribing the edge.

        A flawed procedure. That is why they will fix it.

        If a wrong planchet enters the striking chamber with the way the
        procedure is being executed, (inscribed along the edge after the
        strike of obverse and reverse faces), it would have a better chance at
        being caught, (the wrong planchet).

        Once they change their methods, then we will see these wrong planchet
        errors, but not until then.

        My opinion only, based on current information.

        Jeff

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Bolton"