Re: Pre or post mint?

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2002
      Jason's case of a zinc-plated cent reminds me of
      another coin in my collection. I bought a beautifully struck,
      uncirculated, apparently unplated zinc cent with a dark gray
      coloration. At first I thought it was a normal cent that was zinc
      plated outside the mint because it was slightly overweight (2.52
      grams) and the surface was marked with a few microscopic bubbles
      or "blebs".

      I didn't pay much for the coin, so I scraped the edge against a fine-
      grained sharpening stone. Believe me, I gave it a good, hard
      scrape. Lo and behold, no copper lay beneath the surface. It turned
      out to be legit. I can only assume that the planchet itself was
      slightly overweight, and the scattered bubbles were created by some
      step in processing. The copper plating could not have been
      chemically stripped off outside the mint. If this had been the case,
      the surface would show some roughness and the design features would
      be a little mushy.

      It just goes to show you how tricky some of these errors can be.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "dermestid" <mdia1@a...>