1962 reverse brockage cent

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2002
      I've posted in the "brockages and counterbrockages" album images of a
      1962 cent with a brockage of the obverse design on the reverse face.
      The coin was struck fully in the collar.

      At first glance, this looks like a coin in which the reverse face was
      polished off and a normal cent was pressed into it. However, there
      are a number of clues that this is genuine.

      1. There is a little bit of finning on the obverse rim, an indication
      of higher than normal striking pressure.

      2. There is a faint, raised ghost of the Memorial on the reverse,
      another side-effect of higher than normal striking pressure.

      3. The incompleteness of the brockage is something I've seen before
      on this kind of error. It's a hallmark of authenticity.

      Brockages of the obverse design on the reverse are much, much rarer
      than brockages of the reverse design on the obverse, especially when
      you're talking about coins struck in the collar. The last one I saw
      for sale was at the ANA show in Chicago. It was priced at $300. I
      cherrypicked this one for $13!