Curious-looking coin yanked from Heritage auction

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
      An alleged "die adjustment strike" S-mintmark buffalo nickel was
      pulled from the FUN auction. It featured a single strike on the
      reverse face and a reported six strikes on the obverse face.

      I don't know why it was pulled, but I was uneasy about the coin from
      the start. The multiple images on the obverse face appear to show a
      soft, blended overlap, which is something I've only seen on coins
      struck by fake dies. Authentic weak, multiple strikes do not show
      blended overlap.

      Furthermore, the multiple images are on the obverse face. In buffalo
      nickels, that's the face struck by the anvil die. I've never seen a
      one-sided multi-strike (rotational subtype) with the multiple images
      on the face struck by the anvil die. Doesn't mean it can't happen,
      I've just never seen it. In this case, it would mean that the coin
      stuck to the hammer (reverse) die and that the anvil die rotated
      between each strike. Since the strike was so weak, I can't see how
      the coin would have managed to stick to the hammer die.

      One of the problems with weak strikes is that they're generally too
      weak to show helpful die markers and too weak to show evidence of a
      counterfeit die. So I don't know how you'd even authenticate a
      specimen like this with any degree of confidence.

      Heritage mailed me a catalog (a monumental waste of money), and I
      scanned the photo. It's in the default album. Comments are welcome.
    • Rob Risi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
        Just curious mike why you say the heritage catalogs are a waste of money?  Perhaps you say this because many people have computers and the coins can be seen on them?  TRUE....Also heritage pays $8.10 or more to mail these catalogs to everyone.....yes they have nice photos, but i wonder who actually buys them....I notice they all have $50 price tags on the back covers of all their catalogs.....thin and thick.......
        oh well
        ROB

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
          I just meant it was a monumental waste of money sending the catalogs to
          me.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi