1969 Lincoln cent that weighs 3.3g

  • dbrhhock
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hello, and Happy New Years to All.
      I found a 1969 Licoln cent in pocket change last night that weighs 3.3
      grams. Worn, but not overly. I could send a pic., but I know you are
      limited on space.
      I have seen the 3.0g & 3.1g (avg.) & 3.2g's - but is a 3.3grms cent as
      error?
      Thank you.
      Deborah
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        The weight is beyond accepted tolerances so, yes, it is an error.
        Cents struck on planchets punched out of rolled-thick stock are a well-
        known planchet error. I've seem them as heavy as 4.2 grams.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "dbrhhock"
        <dbrhhock@...> wrote:

        > Hello, and Happy New Years to All.
        > I found a 1969 Licoln cent in pocket change last night that weighs 3.3
        > grams. Worn, but not overly. I could send a pic., but I know you are
        > limited on space.
        > I have seen the 3.0g & 3.1g (avg.) & 3.2g's - but is a 3.3grms cent as
        > error?
        > Thank you.
        > Deborah

      • Deborah Hock
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          Wow...4.2g!! Guess it would be impossible to "see" these examples, but where could I learn more about weight errors?
          Should I send this one in to be certified, or is it of minor significance?
          Thanks again for all you do and share.
          Deborah

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Hock
            <dbrhhock@...> wrote:

            > Wow...4.2g!! Guess it would be impossible to "see" these examples,
            but where could I learn more about weight errors?

            Rolled-thick and rolled-thin errors are covered in most standard
            references. There is no formal listing of such errors, as far as I'm
            aware.

            > Should I send this one in to be certified, or is it of minor
            significance?

            Since it's only .2g overweight, its value is modest. It is not worth
            sending in to be certified, in my opinion.