Re: Jeff's Spanish Peseta

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2006
      We have with this coin poorly struck design elements (e.g., denticles)
      but a very well-struck edge with apparent finning.

      This combination could be due to:

      1. the coin being struck on a blank.
      2. the coin being struck on a planchet with inadequate upset.
      3. a chip or defect in the groove in the upset mill, leading to an
      inadequately upset section of the planchet's perimeter.

      We see a roughly similar appearance in 1985-D dimes, which were
      apparently struck on inadequately upset planchets. Peripheral details
      and the design rim are poorly expressed or absent, but the edge is
      tall, the reeding very strong, and the rim/edge junction sharp.
      Sometimes there is a serrated pressure ridge at the rim edge junction,
      though no finning per se. The abnormally wide planchets evidently made
      for a tight fit in the collar, with very little room for lateral
      expansion. The absence or minimal development of a proto-rim on the
      planchet interfered with the development of the design rim and
      peripheral design elements.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"