Off-center or off-metal?

  • seanqueue
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2002
      I wrote the seller of the following auction earlier this morning:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1351664583

      His reply intrigued and confused me, and now I'm not too sure the coin
      isn't what he says it is. The seller was very friendly and graciously
      gave me permission to post our converstaion here, where some experts
      can weigh in with their opinions. Here is my mail to him:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Just saw the subject auction, and I want to tell you that your coin
      is not
      a nickel struck on a quarter planchet. It is an other error known as a
      broadstrike, where the planchet is struck without the retaining collar,
      causing the planchet to expand from the force of the strike.

      > I must be the 142nd person to write and tell you this, I do not see
      anything in your listing correcting the mistake.

      > Two quick tests you can do to confirm this. One: look at the edge
      of the
      coin and see if there is a 'clad sandwich', a line indicating the presence
      of a copper core. A quarter planchet is clad, a nickel is an alloy. No
      copper line means the coin is struck on a nickel planchet. Second test:
      make a simple popsicle-stick balance and compare your coin to a normal
      nickel and a normal quarter. Your coin should weigh the same as the
      nickel,
      and be lighter than the quarter.

      > You should really update your auction listing with the correct
      information. Please let me know if you need to know how to do that, or if
      you have any other questions.

      Below find his reply along with his first-hand examination of the coin:

      Hi, Sean:
      Thanks for your educating me on this item. Yours is the first
      message
      to suggest that it may be a broadstrike rather than a wrong planchet.
      I took it to a jeweler and it weighs in at 5.0389 grams--more than a
      nickel, but less than a quarter. Also, there appears to be an
      orange-colored
      core along part of the edging which looks to me like copper. Other
      portions
      of the coin have been squished to obscure the copper line. Is this
      possible?
      I certainly would not want to misrepresent this in any way, and I will
      cancel the auction if this is in fact a broadstrike.
      Please let me know what you think. Thanks so very much!
      Sincerely,
      Walt Mack
    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2002
        Sean,
        Because it weighs exactly right for a nickel, and
        it's dated 1999, I don't believe it's struck on a
        quarter stock planchet.

        Those coins were from the early 1980's, and would not
        have weighed the exact weight of a normal nickel.

        The "copper" color he refers to must just be similar
        to the "toning" I can see on the photo of the coin
        in his listing.......

        Gut feeling, even with his reply, is that it's a broadstruck
        1999 nickel, on a nickel, and the toning is just that.......

        As Dennis Miller says, "that's my opinion, and I could be
        wrong".......

        Fred

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., seanqueue <no_reply@y...>

      • dermestid
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2002
          I agree with Fred. The fact that the "orange" color metal on the
          edge is intermittently present would indicate that it's just some
          form of discoloration.