Holy Cow - Another 'Impossible' Error

  • yczavala
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      Wow, now this is one helluva an error. I'll be chewing on this one
      all night.

      YZ

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1350008541
    • dermestid
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        A multistruck, off-center, uniface nickel struck on a nickel-sized
        quarter blank with straight edge clip. Bizarre would be an
        understatement.

        This coin puts me in mind of those five dimes that appeared a few
        years back that were struck on cent planchets that had been
        somehow "resized" to dime size.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., yczavala <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > Wow, now this is one helluva an error. I'll be chewing on this one
        > all night.
        >
        > YZ
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1350008541
      • byersnc
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2002
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1350008541

          This was sitting in a long time collection, and I was able to
          purchase it last week at the Central States Coin Show. One look....
          and I knew I had to have it !!!

          Mike Byers

          http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=5599778
          http://www.byersnc.com
        • fred_weinberg
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2002
            Three years ago at the FUN show I bought and sold
            the "round" version of this coin -

            It was dated 1983, I believe, had seen some circulation
            (Au-ish), and stunned me when I first saw the coin.

            At the time, it was the first one like this I had
            ever seen or heard of......and now, Mike's piece is
            a fantastic addition to the mystery....

            By the way, the Central States show, like the Feb.
            Long Beach show, was very busy for errors - and as
            usual, I sold alot more material than I bought (or
            was even offered!)

            I found almost any price level to be active, from
            $10 up to $15,000, but the error had to be "visable".

            I expect to have my next price list out by the end
            of next week - 16-18 pages of raw and slabbed Major
            Mint Error Coins..........

            Fred

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., byersnc <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1350008541
            >

            > This was sitting in a long time collection, and I was able to
            > purchase it last week at the Central States Coin Show. One look....
            > and I knew I had to have it !!!
            >

            > Mike Byers
            >
            > http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=5599778
            > http://www.byersnc.com
          • dermestid
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2002
              I was wondering whether anyone had seen any other nickels struck on
              quarter stock. You've answered my question. Too bad more of these
              didn't escape.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., fred_weinberg