Cheap off-metal/foreign planchet quarter

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      This solid copper-nickel quarter went for only $200. I suppose lack of
      a date had something to do with it.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300032080062

      I'm getting a growing sense that U.S. coins struck on foreign planchets
      are worth considerably less than U.S. coins struck on domestic
      planchets.
    • Rob Risi
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        YEAH MIKE, I WAS SCRATCHING MY HEAD WITH THIS AS I FORGET TO PLACE MY BID ON THIS ON LAST NIGHT...I WAS THINKING I WOULD HAVE BEEN HOME BEFORE IT ENDED BUT MY POKER GAME WENT TILL 1AM AS I WAS RUNNER UP IN MY TOURNAMENT......AT 3.9 GRAMS IT SURE IS A FGN PLANCHET.........PRETTY COOL.......MAYBE AU GRADE OR BETTER.
        I HATE WHEN COLLECTORS OF MINT ERRORS SAY, WELL IT DOESN'T HAVE A DATE?
        THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT THESE ARE "MINT ERRORS" AND THEY CANNOT "ALL" HAVE A DATE.
        YES I PERFER DATED ERRORS, BUT I BUY UNDATED ONES JUST AS MUCH....FOR LESS MONEY OF COURSE....BUT CERTAIN ERRORS WITH NO DATES ARE JUST AS GOOD..IT DEPENDS ON THE ERROR.
        NO DATE FOLDOVERS ARE GREAT...ETC/ETC....OR A UNIQUE ERROR WITH NO DATE IS WORTH $$$$
        SOME PEOPLE THINK DATELESS ERRORS ARE ALMOST WORTHLESS AND WE ALL KNOW THATS NOT THE CASE........
        ROB

        Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
        This solid copper-nickel quarter went for only $200. I suppose lack of
        a date had something to do with it.

        http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& item=30003208006 2

        I'm getting a growing sense that U.S. coins struck on foreign planchets
        are worth considerably less than U.S. coins struck on domestic
        planchets.

      • mrlindy2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          The hair detail is too vague for 1978 or 79D. It's most likely 70D
          which was a banner year for 25c wrong planchet and wrong stock errors.

          Sullivan has some outstanding errors for sale from time to time at
          ebay.

          Lindy

          <mdia1@...> wrote:

          > This solid copper-nickel quarter went for only $200. I suppose lack
          of
          > a date had something to do with it.
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300032080062
          >
          > I'm getting a growing sense that U.S. coins struck on foreign
          planchets
          > are worth considerably less than U.S. coins struck on domestic
          > planchets.

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
            That is interesting.

            In fact, I've some questions as to where exactly things are going in
            regard to error coins both overall and in the sense of the ten and
            twenty year period ahead? Enjoying the hobby and learning is primary
            for me along the way.

            I'd like to hear some predictions, but as with many things, staying
            the course in the here and now is what we should be doing, but you do
            have to think ahead.

            Many of you have been in this for years and years. Lindy frequently
            mentions the Nineteen seventies era, Fred W. too and sometimes even
            earlier. I get the same sense as well with with Mike B.

            Me, well, I have complete faith it will prove worthy, (the future).
            It would be nice to know how interests have changed up to know, how
            they might change and what will change it. Besides being educated,
            and aggresive, I would think common sense isn't so common when it
            comes to emotional issues concerning hundreds or thousands of dollars.

            The better we understand, the more confident we are and the more
            effective we can be both as learners and mentors will ensure a bright
            future for both the collector and more serious of intent, ( those
            making a living at it).

            Jeff

            -- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond"
            <mdia1@...> wrote:

            > This solid copper-nickel quarter went for only $200. I suppose lack of
            > a date had something to do with it.
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300032080062
            >
            > I'm getting a growing sense that U.S. coins struck on foreign planchets
            > are worth considerably less than U.S. coins struck on domestic
            > planchets.

          • Al C.
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
              I agree, I guess no one is trying to put together a
              dated set of U.S. on foreign either.

              --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

              > This solid copper-nickel quarter went for only $200.
              > I suppose lack of
              > a date had something to do with it.

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300032080062

              > I'm getting a growing sense that U.S. coins struck
              > on foreign planchets
              > are worth considerably less than U.S. coins struck
              > on domestic
              > planchets.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • mrlindy2000
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
                Quality crystal balls are very expensive and I don't have one, but
                this is what I think.

                I've been lucky to acquire some unique items in 2 and a half decades
                past and now when I offer each piece I no longer rely on past market
                or anyone's published "values" or ads, but instead what I'd consider
                taking for each one. I'll never auction up any error I own now,
                anywhere.

                Alot of coin collectors recently entered the hobby with the
                everchanging 25c designs. At somepoint these Numismatists will
                wonder into other coin hobby areas. Interesting striking errors are
                no longer made by USA or if made are no longer bulk sold by
                enterprising Brinks employees who NOW value their jobs over their
                sideline opportunities. The SanFransico Mint must have retired their
                Mint's Own Midnight Special Crew as the numerous and crazy proof
                errors have now become rare again depending on date. At least since
                1982. There was a spate of oddies in 1981S, so thats the cutoff date
                I recognize for legitamate accidental errors struck via proof dies.

                Jeff, I'd say bid to win any item you feel you need if you are lucky
                to find it available in an auction:

                A cool error collection could just be one coin.

                I never really planned to sell any of my errors. Some of my various
                hobby addicted friends all came to this same conclusion years ago.
                Wives never know what the hubby really pays for things, 8^0. This
                observation transcends death as estate coins auctioned in 2005 and
                2006 sold for far less than their prior recognized ads' ask.

                I bet more often than not most error collectors feel this way too:

                My errors are not for sale.

                Errors continue to rise in value. Not that they are always rare,
                they're just not available for purchase like they used to be and
                more people want them.

                Lindy

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
                <jylitalo@...> wrote:

                > That is interesting.
                >
                > In fact, I've some questions as to where exactly things are going
                in
                > regard to error coins both overall and in the sense of the ten and
                > twenty year period ahead? Enjoying the hobby and learning is
                primary
                > for me along the way.
                >
                > I'd like to hear some predictions, but as with many things, staying
                > the course in the here and now is what we should be doing, but you
                do
                > have to think ahead.
                >
                > Many of you have been in this for years and years. Lindy
                frequently
                > mentions the Nineteen seventies era, Fred W. too and sometimes even
                > earlier. I get the same sense as well with with Mike B.
                >
                > Me, well, I have complete faith it will prove worthy, (the
                future).
                > It would be nice to know how interests have changed up to know, how
                > they might change and what will change it. Besides being educated,
                > and aggresive, I would think common sense isn't so common when it
                > comes to emotional issues concerning hundreds or thousands of
                dollars.

                > The better we understand, the more confident we are and the more
                > effective we can be both as learners and mentors will ensure a
                bright
                > future for both the collector and more serious of intent, ( those
                > making a living at it).
                >
                > Jeff
                >
                > -- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond"
                > <mdia1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > This solid copper-nickel quarter went for only $200. I suppose
                lack of
                > > a date had something to do with it.
                > >
                > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300032080062
                > >
                > > I'm getting a growing sense that U.S. coins struck on foreign
                planchets
                > > are worth considerably less than U.S. coins struck on domestic
                > > planchets.

              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Lindy,

                  Thanks, yours is a great perspective.

                  I've found myself growing into that same skin.

                  However, opportunities seem limited, unless you HUNT them down, smell
                  them out and act.

                  There should be also, the keen eye and high situational awarness to
                  give us faith. Any of us COULD be the one to happen-chance and
                  experience the thrill of the find for our own collection.

                  Great, thanks,

                  Jeff