Re: Partial die cap

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
      In days past, familiar sources included mint-sewn bags, counting houses
      (incl. armored car services), and Federal Reserve banks. Mint-sewn
      bags are out these days since they switched to huge "ballistic bags".

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, ibcooleyes
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Rookie question: On these and all other such errors are they always
      > found in mint bags, rolls or do you have to know someone at one of
      > the large coin rolling companies that have first dibs at finding such
      > coins ?? I know this coin wouldn't fit in a roll.
    • Error Coins
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
        This auction:

        http://tinyurl.com/m42t2

        APPEARS to be 2 reverse dies. I've owned the one with the Indian head on one
        side and one of these reverses shows the aftermath of a crash with this
        obverse.

        Assuming these pictures are correct - is this a known CWT?

        Later.....
        Steve
      • ibcooleyes
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
          So what you are saying these type errors are found in these
          hug "ballistic bags". and no where else ? And these huge "ballistic
          bags" are where ?

          How may people that are associated with this forum are involved with
          the u s mint ?.

          <mdia1@...> wrote:

          > In days past, familiar sources included mint-sewn bags, counting
          houses
          > (incl. armored car services), and Federal Reserve banks. Mint-sewn
          > bags are out these days since they switched to huge "ballistic bags".
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, ibcooleyes
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Rookie question: On these and all other such errors are they always
          > > found in mint bags, rolls or do you have to know someone at one of
          > > the large coin rolling companies that have first dibs at finding
          such
          > > coins ?? I know this coin wouldn't fit in a roll.

        • Rich Schemmer
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 5, 2006
            You would have a better chance getting the Stealth secrets from the
            US Gov't, than to expect an error dealer to give up his error
            sources ... LOL

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5, 2006
              As best as I can recall, the ballistic bags are shipped directly to
              armored car services and possibly Federal Reserve Banks. Unless you
              have contacts in either place, you're pretty much out of luck, at
              least when it comes to grossly deformed coins. The government has
              clamped down on the release of defective coins in the rare event that
              some actually get past increasingly stringent quality control
              technology.

              Error coins that have a normal or near-normal diameter can still be
              found in rolls.

              There are no mint employees among our membership, to my knowledge.

              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > So what you are saying these type errors are found in these
              > hug "ballistic bags". and no where else ? And these huge "ballistic
              > bags" are where ?
              >
              > How may people that are associated with this forum are involved
              with
              > the u s mint ?.
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 12, 2009
                One of these shows up every once in awhile on eBay. It's a partial (i.e. off-center) obverse die cap:

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230384944656

                Notice how the reverse design is expanded and distorted. The first strike was an ordinary off-center strike (die-struck on both faces). The coin clung to the obverse (hammer) die and was struck into the next planchet fed in beneath it. After that it fell off.

                I suspect this specimen escaped the notice of most bidders (they often do) as it didn't cost me much.
              • Jon Sullivan