Re: PCGS Grading Planchets - Fred:

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      I don't see any way to distinguish tumbling marks from bag marks or
      other contact marks. I would think the grade was based on the total
      number of tumbling marks + bag marks. But, admittedly, I don't have
      a special window into the minds of graders.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Coin grading is on a scale of G.,V.G., etc. up to MS, etc.
      >
      > I don't see the purpose in starting to grade Blanks
      > with a different set of numbers or criteria.It would
      > be confusing, and introducing a new set of numbers and
      > terms that just isn't needed, in my opinion.
      >
      > Why fix something that isn't broke? Aside from the valid
      > discussion about whether TPG services SHOULD grade
      > Blank Planchets, if they do, why not use the current
      > grading system and standards?
      >
      > Fred
    • Error Coins
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
        Actually, I like the idea of grading planchets. Most of my blanks look like
        crap! I would be happy to pay a premium, a substantial premium at that, for a
        planchet with good color and a minimum of marks from whatever the source. I
        realize that a grading service is not a requirement here, but it sure makes
        things easier when dealing trough the mail.

        Just a perspective from one "Small Time Collector".

        Later.....
        Steve

        PS Didn't brother Lindy have some sort of "system" for defining the best
        blanks?

        Error Type Collection:
        http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm