Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] PCGS Grading Planchets - Fred:

  • Rob Risi
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1 8:37 AM
      I SAY ENOUGH OF THIS GRADING OF PLANCHETS...HERE IS MY SUGGESTION TO ALL THE GRADING COMPANIES......YES I WOULD AGREE TO ASSIGNING A GRADE....2 OF THEM....UNCIRCULATED OR CIRCULATED.....THOSE 2 WORDS ONLY SHOULD BE USED...NO NUMBERS ON PLANCHETS..PERIOD.
      DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH ME??  I CANNOT SEE GRADING A BLANK MS62 OR 65?  UNLESS YOU WANT TO COUNT THE BAGMARKS??????
      ROB

      Rafael <my_errors@...> wrote:
      How does MS-A, MS-Z or any other intemediate grade sound as a grading system for planchets?
      What problem (s) or solution (s) could arise with the existing planchet errors  if such proposed system was accepted?
      Rafael

      fred_weinberg <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:
      Rafael,

      List a question or two, and I'll be happy to try to
      answer it.....

      Fred
      --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, Rafael
      <my_errors@. ..> wrote:

      > Fred
      > I know many of my assumptions will be wrong as I have been
      learning since 1999 only. Probably I have a long way to go. I am
      trying, anyway.
> [...]
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, Rafael
      > <my_errors@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Life is full of surprises. Up till now I thought that grading
      > referred to the clarity, freshness, and beauty of the strike,
      which
      > in turn translates into value as a result of specimen scarcity.
      > >
      > > As Fred points out, the planchets are being graded upon the
      > basis of luster, bag marks, scratches... etc, as a paralell system
      > the regular grading of the strike on normal coinage. This leads me
      > to conclude that all planchets are graded MS-70 less the
      detractory
      > imperfections present at the time of encapsulation. A sort of
      > planchet production grading system.
      > >
      > > It is surprising that such system, that precludes the mint's
      > intervention, be handled side by side with the grading reserved
      for
      > coin strikes as planchets or blanks are not coins yet. I now
      wonder
      > how to interpret this grading based upon detracting from a non-
      > existent conceptual coin. Maybe a solution might be that of
      > assigning letters instead of numbers just for planchets. How does
      MS-
      > A, MS-Z or any other intemediate grade sound?
      > > On the other hand, what problem or solution might arise with the
      > grading of existent planchet errors, given such a proposed system?
      > Maybe conventionalisms could be accepted to grade the damage
      created
      > during the Mint's processes. Would the damage created outside the
      > Mint be considered with the same weight as that inflicted on the
      > inside? ...etc.
      > > I don't feel lenghty expositions are in order at the present but
      > perhaps a club commitee should ask grading firms on their views...
      > > Just my couple of cents,
      > > Rafael
      > >

      > > Jeff <jylitalo@> wrote:
      > > I can back up the NGC statement Fred.
      > >
      > > They don't grade them.
      > >
      > > Have several on hand from different countries,
      > >
      > > best,
      > >
      > > Jeff
      > >
      > > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com,
      fred_weinberg
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com,
      copstaffer
      > > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > > I don't know the exact reason why they grade them, as opposed
      > > > to just authenticating them......
      > > >
      > > > An argument can be made for either point:
      > > >
      > > > 1. They're blank, so how can you grade a flat surface, or
      > > >
      > > > 2. Just like a struck coin, they can be graded basis the
      > > > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
      > > >
      > > > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
      > > > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
      > > > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
      > > >
      > > > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
      > > > holders....
      > > >
      > > > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....

      Sacagawea
      > > > blank

      > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.
      > Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
      > >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      call rates.

    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1 8:39 AM
        Coin grading is on a scale of G.,V.G., etc. up to MS, etc.

        I don't see the purpose in starting to grade Blanks
        with a different set of numbers or criteria.It would
        be confusing, and introducing a new set of numbers and
        terms that just isn't needed, in my opinion.

        Why fix something that isn't broke? Aside from the valid
        discussion about whether TPG services SHOULD grade
        Blank Planchets, if they do, why not use the current
        grading system and standards?

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1 8:40 AM
          AGREE.

          --- Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > and then all
          > > you've

          > pointless, as they all
          > > have
          > bath.

          > > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
          > "nivek000"

          > might be interested
          > > in a
          > 2006-P
          > Sacagawea
          > > > > > > >

          > http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?

          > > > ---------------------------------
          > > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make
          > PC-to-Phone calls.
          > > Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
          > > >

          > > ---------------------------------
          > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's
          > low PC-to-Phone
          > call rates.
          > >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Rafael
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1 9:14 AM
            Thanks Fred.

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1 10:56 AM
              I don't see any way to distinguish tumbling marks from bag marks or
              other contact marks. I would think the grade was based on the total
              number of tumbling marks + bag marks. But, admittedly, I don't have
              a special window into the minds of graders.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Coin grading is on a scale of G.,V.G., etc. up to MS, etc.
              >
              > I don't see the purpose in starting to grade Blanks
              > with a different set of numbers or criteria.It would
              > be confusing, and introducing a new set of numbers and
              > terms that just isn't needed, in my opinion.
              >
              > Why fix something that isn't broke? Aside from the valid
              > discussion about whether TPG services SHOULD grade
              > Blank Planchets, if they do, why not use the current
              > grading system and standards?
              >
              > Fred
            • Error Coins
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1 1:59 PM
                Actually, I like the idea of grading planchets. Most of my blanks look like
                crap! I would be happy to pay a premium, a substantial premium at that, for a
                planchet with good color and a minimum of marks from whatever the source. I
                realize that a grading service is not a requirement here, but it sure makes
                things easier when dealing trough the mail.

                Just a perspective from one "Small Time Collector".

                Later.....
                Steve

                PS Didn't brother Lindy have some sort of "system" for defining the best
                blanks?

                Error Type Collection:
                http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm