Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] PCGS Grading Planchets - Fred:

  • Rafael
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      Fred
      I know many of my assumptions will be wrong as I have been learning since 1999 only. Probably I have a long way to go.  I am trying, anyway.
      Maybe you can enlighten me on the other points also.
      Thanks
      Rafael

      fred_weinberg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Rafael,

      Your assumption is wrong. Neither the
      Blank Planchet, nor the normal struck
      coin "starts out as MS-70" in the graders
      eye.

      While it may be a fine point to say a blank
      is MS-61 vrs. MS-62, it is very easy to determine
      if a blank planchet is circ. or Unc., in my opinion.

      Fred

      --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, Rafael
      <my_errors@. ..> wrote:

      > Life is full of surprises. Up till now I thought that grading
      referred to the clarity, freshness, and beauty of the strike, which
      in turn translates into value as a result of specimen scarcity.

      > As Fred points out, the planchets are being graded upon the
      basis of luster, bag marks, scratches... etc, as a paralell system to
      the regular grading of the strike on normal coinage. This leads me
      to conclude that all planchets are graded MS-70 less the detractory
      imperfections present at the time of encapsulation. A sort of
      planchet production grading system.

      > It is surprising that such system, that precludes the mint's
      intervention, be handled side by side with the grading reserved for
      coin strikes as planchets or blanks are not coins yet. I now wonder
      how to interpret this grading based upon detracting from a non-
      existent conceptual coin. Maybe a solution might be that of
      assigning letters instead of numbers just for planchets. How does MS-
      A, MS-Z or any other intemediate grade sound?
      > On the other hand, what problem or solution might arise with the
      grading of existent planchet errors, given such a proposed system?
      Maybe conventionalisms could be accepted to grade the damage created
      during the Mint's processes. Would the damage created outside the
      Mint be considered with the same weight as that inflicted on the
      inside? ...etc.
      > I don't feel lenghty expositions are in order at the present but
      perhaps a club commitee should ask grading firms on their views...

      errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "nivek000"

      > > > thread
      > > blank

      > > > catid=26&threadid= 536121

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

    • fred_weinberg
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
        Rafael,

        List a question or two, and I'll be happy to try to
        answer it.....

        <my_errors@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
        > > >
        > > > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
        > > > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
        > > > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
        > > >
        > > > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
        > > > holders....
        > > >
        > > > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
        > > >
        > > > Fred

        > have

        > > > Diamond"

        > years
        > you've
        > > > got

        > have

        > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "nivek000"

        > in a
        Sacagawea
        > > > blank

        > > ---------------------------------
        > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

      • Rafael
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
          How does MS-A, MS-Z or any other intemediate grade sound as a grading system for planchets?
          What problem (s) or solution (s) could arise with the existing planchet errors  if such proposed system was accepted?
          Rafael

          fred_weinberg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          Rafael,

          List a question or two, and I'll be happy to try to

          <my_errors@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
          > > >
          > > > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
          > > > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
          > > > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
          > > >
          > > > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
          > > > holders....
          > > >
          > > > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
          > > >
          > > > Fred

          > have

          > > > Diamond"

          > years
          > you've
          > > > got

          > have

          > errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "nivek000"

          > in a
          Sacagawea
          > > > blank

          > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
          > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

        • Rob Risi
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
            I SAY ENOUGH OF THIS GRADING OF PLANCHETS...HERE IS MY SUGGESTION TO ALL THE GRADING COMPANIES......YES I WOULD AGREE TO ASSIGNING A GRADE....2 OF THEM....UNCIRCULATED OR CIRCULATED.....THOSE 2 WORDS ONLY SHOULD BE USED...NO NUMBERS ON PLANCHETS..PERIOD.
            DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH ME??  I CANNOT SEE GRADING A BLANK MS62 OR 65?  UNLESS YOU WANT TO COUNT THE BAGMARKS??????
            ROB

            Rafael <my_errors@...> wrote:
            How does MS-A, MS-Z or any other intemediate grade sound as a grading system for planchets?
            What problem (s) or solution (s) could arise with the existing planchet errors  if such proposed system was accepted?
            Rafael

            fred_weinberg <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:
            Rafael,

            List a question or two, and I'll be happy to try to

            <my_errors@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
            > > >
            > > > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
            > > > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
            > > > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
            > > >
            > > > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
            > > > holders....
            > > >
            > > > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
            > > >
            > > > Fred

            > have

            > > > Diamond"

            > years
            > you've
            > > > got

            > have

            > errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "nivek000"

            > in a
            Sacagawea
            > > > blank

            > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
            > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

          • fred_weinberg
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
              Coin grading is on a scale of G.,V.G., etc. up to MS, etc.

              I don't see the purpose in starting to grade Blanks
              with a different set of numbers or criteria.It would
              be confusing, and introducing a new set of numbers and
              terms that just isn't needed, in my opinion.

              Why fix something that isn't broke? Aside from the valid
              discussion about whether TPG services SHOULD grade
              Blank Planchets, if they do, why not use the current
              grading system and standards?

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                AGREE.

                --- Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > and then all
                > > you've

                > pointless, as they all
                > > have
                > bath.

                > > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                > "nivek000"

                > might be interested
                > > in a
                > 2006-P
                > Sacagawea
                > > > > > > >

                > http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?

                > > > ---------------------------------
                > > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make
                > PC-to-Phone calls.
                > > Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
                > > >

                > > ---------------------------------
                > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's
                > low PC-to-Phone
                > call rates.
                > >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Rafael
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                  Thanks Fred.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                    I don't see any way to distinguish tumbling marks from bag marks or
                    other contact marks. I would think the grade was based on the total
                    number of tumbling marks + bag marks. But, admittedly, I don't have
                    a special window into the minds of graders.

                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Coin grading is on a scale of G.,V.G., etc. up to MS, etc.
                    >
                    > I don't see the purpose in starting to grade Blanks
                    > with a different set of numbers or criteria.It would
                    > be confusing, and introducing a new set of numbers and
                    > terms that just isn't needed, in my opinion.
                    >
                    > Why fix something that isn't broke? Aside from the valid
                    > discussion about whether TPG services SHOULD grade
                    > Blank Planchets, if they do, why not use the current
                    > grading system and standards?
                    >
                    > Fred
                  • Error Coins
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                      Actually, I like the idea of grading planchets. Most of my blanks look like
                      crap! I would be happy to pay a premium, a substantial premium at that, for a
                      planchet with good color and a minimum of marks from whatever the source. I
                      realize that a grading service is not a requirement here, but it sure makes
                      things easier when dealing trough the mail.

                      Just a perspective from one "Small Time Collector".

                      Later.....
                      Steve

                      PS Didn't brother Lindy have some sort of "system" for defining the best
                      blanks?

                      Error Type Collection:
                      http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm