PCGS certifies dated, mint-specific blank planchet

  • nivek000
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31 8:02 AM
      I thought some readers of this forum might be interested in a thread I
      posted to the PCGS message forum about a 2006-P Sacagawea blank
      planchet:

      http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=536121

      - Kevin
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 31 8:26 AM
        For me, a blank planchet is a blank planchet. After a few years nobody
        will remember the planchet's provenience, and then all you've got is
        the word of the grading service.

        Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have tumbling
        marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "nivek000"
        <nivek@...> wrote:

        > I thought some readers of this forum might be interested in a thread
        > posted to the PCGS message forum about a 2006-P Sacagawea blank
        > planchet:
        >
        > http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=536121
        >
        > - Kevin

      • copstaffer
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 31 10:45 AM
          "Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
          tumbling marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath."

          I couldn't agree more! I've always considered it to be silly.

          Fred - Any insight/rationale as to why PCGS chooses to grade
          planchets (vice simply certifying them as "Genuine")?

          <mdia1@...> wrote:

          > For me, a blank planchet is a blank planchet. After a few years
          nobody
          > will remember the planchet's provenience, and then all you've got
          is
          > the word of the grading service.
          >
          > Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
          tumbling
          > marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath.
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "nivek000"
          > <nivek@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I thought some readers of this forum might be interested in a
          thread
          > > posted to the PCGS message forum about a 2006-P Sacagawea blank
          > > planchet:
          > >
          > > http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?
          catid=26&threadid=536121

          > > - Kevin

        • fred_weinberg
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 31 12:14 PM
            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, copstaffer
            <no_reply@...> wrote:
            I don't know the exact reason why they grade them, as opposed
            to just authenticating them......

            An argument can be made for either point:

            1. They're blank, so how can you grade a flat surface, or

            2. Just like a struck coin, they can be graded basis the
            luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.

            Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
            I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
            blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.

            I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
            holders....

            Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....

            Fred

            > "Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
            > tumbling marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath."
            >
            > I couldn't agree more! I've always considered it to be silly.
            >
            > Fred - Any insight/rationale as to why PCGS chooses to grade
            > planchets (vice simply certifying them as "Genuine")?
            >

            > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
            Diamond"
            > <mdia1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > For me, a blank planchet is a blank planchet. After a few years
            > nobody
            > > will remember the planchet's provenience, and then all you've
            got
            > is
            > > the word of the grading service.
            > >
            > > Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
            > tumbling
            > > marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath.
            > >
            > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "nivek000"
            > > <nivek@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I thought some readers of this forum might be interested in a
            > thread
            > > > posted to the PCGS message forum about a 2006-P Sacagawea
            blank
            > > > planchet:
            > > >
            > > > http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?
            > catid=26&threadid=536121
            > > >
            > > > - Kevin

          • nivek000
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 31 1:05 PM
              Mike Diamond wrote:
              > For me, a blank planchet is a blank planchet. After a few years
              nobody will remember the planchet's provenience, and then all you've
              got is the word of the grading service.

              The fact that PCGS noted this as a 2006-P blank planchet prevents
              exactly what you described: loss of the planchet's "provenience".

              The top-tier grading services were created to settle and reduce
              disputes, provide third-party authentication, and generally provide
              trustworthy support to transactions. This has probably grown a bit
              to also include historical documentation from time to time (Eliasberg
              pedigree as an example).

              If I handed this planchet to you raw in 20 years and told you it was
              a planchet intended for 2006 production at Philadelphia, you would
              possibly laugh at me and surely ask me to prove it (which I would be
              unable to do). But, if I hand you this planchet certified by PCGS,
              my feeling is you should accept that it is indeed a 2006-P planchet
              since PCGS is one of the top-tier (i.e. trustworthy, for now)
              authentication services.

              This is (so far) a unique circumstance, and it is not really any
              different than the Year 2000 planchets that were dated. The
              circumstances were such that no other conclusion could be drawn and
              so they were labeled as such for posterity.

              I respect your opinion that a planchet is a planchet, but a number of
              people (including myself) have thought this was kind of neat. I am
              not sure why it is being panned by experts and dealers. Maybe the
              Year 2000 ones were panned too; I was not collecting in this area at
              that time. I was only trying to bring awareness to the existence of
              another dated planchet.

              Mike Diamond wrote:
              > Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
              tumbling marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath.

              As for PCGS grading blank planchets, it is a worthy discussion to
              have. I guess I don't really care one way or the other and am
              disappointed it has distracted from the main point of the post.

              My feeling is PCGS is indicating that this is an "uncirculated
              specimen" by giving it a low MS grade. I would imagine almost every
              blank planchet has seen virtually no circulation, so maybe this is a
              bit pointless, but I am sure some planchets are nicer than others.

              - Kevin
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 31 2:00 PM
                I have learned to be skeptical of anything and everything written on
                a slab label. If I can't verify a grading service's assertion
                through visual inspection, then for me it's no better than hearsay.
                I ignore it. Others may feel differently and that's their
                prerogative.

                <nivek@...> wrote:

                > Mike Diamond wrote:
                > > For me, a blank planchet is a blank planchet. After a few years
                > nobody will remember the planchet's provenience, and then all
                you've
                > got is the word of the grading service.
                >
                > The fact that PCGS noted this as a 2006-P blank planchet prevents
                > exactly what you described: loss of the planchet's "provenience".
                >
                > The top-tier grading services were created to settle and reduce
                > disputes, provide third-party authentication, and generally provide
                > trustworthy support to transactions. This has probably grown a bit
                > to also include historical documentation from time to time
                (Eliasberg
                > pedigree as an example).
                >
                > If I handed this planchet to you raw in 20 years and told you it
                was
                > a planchet intended for 2006 production at Philadelphia, you would
                > possibly laugh at me and surely ask me to prove it (which I would
                be
                > unable to do). But, if I hand you this planchet certified by PCGS,
                > my feeling is you should accept that it is indeed a 2006-P planchet
                > since PCGS is one of the top-tier (i.e. trustworthy, for now)
                > authentication services.
                >
                > This is (so far) a unique circumstance, and it is not really any
                > different than the Year 2000 planchets that were dated. The
                > circumstances were such that no other conclusion could be drawn and
                > so they were labeled as such for posterity.
                >
                > I respect your opinion that a planchet is a planchet, but a number
                of
                > people (including myself) have thought this was kind of neat. I am
                > not sure why it is being panned by experts and dealers. Maybe the
                > Year 2000 ones were panned too; I was not collecting in this area
                at
                > that time. I was only trying to bring awareness to the existence of
                > another dated planchet.
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 31 6:30 PM
                  I can back up the NGC statement Fred.

                  They don't grade them.

                  Have several on hand from different countries,

                  best,

                  Jeff

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, copstaffer
                  > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > I don't know the exact reason why they grade them, as opposed
                  > to just authenticating them......
                  >
                  > An argument can be made for either point:
                  >
                  > 1. They're blank, so how can you grade a flat surface, or
                  >
                  > 2. Just like a struck coin, they can be graded basis the
                  > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
                  >
                  > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
                  > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
                  > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
                  >
                  > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
                  > holders....
                  >
                  > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
                  >
                  > Fred
                  >

                  > > "Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
                  > > tumbling marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath."
                  > >
                  > > I couldn't agree more! I've always considered it to be silly.
                  > >
                  > > Fred - Any insight/rationale as to why PCGS chooses to grade
                  > > planchets (vice simply certifying them as "Genuine")?
                  > >

                  > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
                  > Diamond"
                  > > <mdia1@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > For me, a blank planchet is a blank planchet. After a few years
                  > > nobody
                  > > > will remember the planchet's provenience, and then all you've
                  > got
                  > > is
                  > > > the word of the grading service.
                  > > >
                  > > > Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
                  > > tumbling
                  > > > marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "nivek000"

                  > > thread
                  > blank

                  > > catid=26&threadid=536121

                • Rafael
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Life is full of surprises. Up till now I thought that grading referred to the clarity, freshness, and beauty of the strike, which in turn translates into value as a result of specimen scarcity.

                    As Fred points out, the planchets are being graded upon the basis of luster, bag marks, scratches...etc, as a paralell system to the regular grading of the strike on normal coinage. This leads me to conclude that all planchets are graded MS-70 less the detractory imperfections present at the time of encapsulation. A sort of planchet production grading system.

                    It is surprising that such system, that precludes the mint's intervention, be handled side by side with the grading reserved for coin strikes as planchets or blanks are not coins yet. I now wonder how to interpret this grading based upon detracting from a non-existent conceptual coin. Maybe a solution might be that of assigning letters instead of numbers just for planchets. How does MS-A, MS-Z or any other intemediate grade sound?
                    On the other hand, what problem or solution might arise with the grading of existent planchet errors, given such a proposed system? Maybe conventionalisms could be accepted to grade the damage created during the Mint's processes. Would the damage created outside the Mint be considered with the same weight as that inflicted on the inside? ...etc.
                    I don't feel lenghty expositions are in order at the present but perhaps a club commitee should ask grading firms on their views...
                    Just my couple of cents,
                    Rafael

                    <no_reply@.. .> wrote:

                    > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, copstaffer
                    > <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > I don't know the exact reason why they grade them, as opposed
                    > to just authenticating them......
                    >
                    > An argument can be made for either point:
                    >
                    > 1. They're blank, so how can you grade a flat surface, or
                    >
                    > 2. Just like a struck coin, they can be graded basis the
                    > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
                    >
                    > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
                    > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
                    > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
                    >
                    > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
                    > holders....
                    >
                    > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
                    >
                    > Fred
                    >

                    > > "Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
                    > > tumbling marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath."
                    > >
                    > > I couldn't agree more! I've always considered it to be silly.
                    > >
                    > > Fred - Any insight/rationale as to why PCGS chooses to grade
                    > > planchets (vice simply certifying them as "Genuine")?
                    > >

                    > > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike
                    > Diamond"
                    > > <mdia1@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > For me, a blank planchet is a blank planchet. After a few years
                    > > nobody
                    > > > will remember the planchet's provenience, and then all you've
                    > got
                    > > is
                    > > > the word of the grading service.
                    > > >
                    > > > Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all have
                    > > tumbling
                    > > > marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "nivek000"

                    > > thread
                    > blank

                    > > catid=26&threadid= 536121

                  • fred_weinberg
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                      Rafael,

                      Your assumption is wrong. Neither the
                      Blank Planchet, nor the normal struck
                      coin "starts out as MS-70" in the graders
                      eye.

                      While it may be a fine point to say a blank
                      is MS-61 vrs. MS-62, it is very easy to determine
                      if a blank planchet is circ. or Unc., in my opinion.

                      Fred

                      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael
                      <my_errors@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > >
                      > > An argument can be made for either point:
                      > >
                      > > 1. They're blank, so how can you grade a flat surface, or
                      > >
                      > > 2. Just like a struck coin, they can be graded basis the
                      > > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
                      > >
                      > > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
                      > > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
                      > > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
                      > >
                      > > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
                      > > holders....
                      > >
                      > > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
                      > >
                      > > Fred
                      > >

                      > > > "Assigning a grade to a planchet is pointless, as they all
                      have
                      > > > tumbling marks from the annealing drum and rinse bath."
                      > > >
                      > > > I couldn't agree more! I've always considered it to be silly.
                      > > >
                      > > > Fred - Any insight/rationale as to why PCGS chooses to grade
                      > > > planchets (vice simply certifying them as "Genuine")?

                      Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

                    • Rafael
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                        Fred
                        I know many of my assumptions will be wrong as I have been learning since 1999 only. Probably I have a long way to go.  I am trying, anyway.
                        Maybe you can enlighten me on the other points also.
                        Thanks
                        Rafael

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                          Rafael,

                          List a question or two, and I'll be happy to try to
                          answer it.....

                          <my_errors@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
                          > > >
                          > > > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
                          > > > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
                          > > > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
                          > > >
                          > > > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
                          > > > holders....
                          > > >
                          > > > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
                          > > >
                          > > > Fred

                          > have

                          > > > Diamond"

                          > years
                          > you've
                          > > > got

                          > have

                          > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "nivek000"

                          > in a
                          Sacagawea
                          > > > blank

                          > > ---------------------------------
                          > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

                        • Rafael
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                            How does MS-A, MS-Z or any other intemediate grade sound as a grading system for planchets?
                            What problem (s) or solution (s) could arise with the existing planchet errors  if such proposed system was accepted?
                            Rafael

                            fred_weinberg <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                            Rafael,

                            List a question or two, and I'll be happy to try to

                            <my_errors@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
                            > > >
                            > > > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
                            > > > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
                            > > > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
                            > > >
                            > > > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
                            > > > holders....
                            > > >
                            > > > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
                            > > >
                            > > > Fred

                            > have

                            > > > Diamond"

                            > years
                            > you've
                            > > > got

                            > have

                            > errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "nivek000"

                            > in a
                            Sacagawea
                            > > > blank

                            > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                            > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

                          • Rob Risi
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                              I SAY ENOUGH OF THIS GRADING OF PLANCHETS...HERE IS MY SUGGESTION TO ALL THE GRADING COMPANIES......YES I WOULD AGREE TO ASSIGNING A GRADE....2 OF THEM....UNCIRCULATED OR CIRCULATED.....THOSE 2 WORDS ONLY SHOULD BE USED...NO NUMBERS ON PLANCHETS..PERIOD.
                              DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH ME??  I CANNOT SEE GRADING A BLANK MS62 OR 65?  UNLESS YOU WANT TO COUNT THE BAGMARKS??????
                              ROB

                              Rafael <my_errors@...> wrote:
                              How does MS-A, MS-Z or any other intemediate grade sound as a grading system for planchets?
                              What problem (s) or solution (s) could arise with the existing planchet errors  if such proposed system was accepted?
                              Rafael

                              fred_weinberg <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:
                              Rafael,

                              List a question or two, and I'll be happy to try to

                              <my_errors@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > luster, bag marks, scratches, etc.
                              > > >
                              > > > Most PCGS-graded Blanks run from AU to MS-62.
                              > > > I don't have a problem with a nice, lusterous,
                              > > > blank planchet being graded MS-61 or MS-62.
                              > > >
                              > > > I believe that NGC does not put grades on their Blank Planchet
                              > > > holders....
                              > > >
                              > > > Hope the above helps out the discussion a bit.....
                              > > >
                              > > > Fred

                              > have

                              > > > Diamond"

                              > years
                              > you've
                              > > > got

                              > have

                              > errorcoininformatio nexchange@ yahoogroups. com, "nivek000"

                              > in a
                              Sacagawea
                              > > > blank

                              > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                              > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

                            • fred_weinberg
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                                Coin grading is on a scale of G.,V.G., etc. up to MS, etc.

                                I don't see the purpose in starting to grade Blanks
                                with a different set of numbers or criteria.It would
                                be confusing, and introducing a new set of numbers and
                                terms that just isn't needed, in my opinion.

                                Why fix something that isn't broke? Aside from the valid
                                discussion about whether TPG services SHOULD grade
                                Blank Planchets, if they do, why not use the current
                                grading system and standards?

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                                  AGREE.

                                  --- Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > and then all
                                  > > you've

                                  > pointless, as they all
                                  > > have
                                  > bath.

                                  > > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                                  > "nivek000"

                                  > might be interested
                                  > > in a
                                  > 2006-P
                                  > Sacagawea
                                  > > > > > > >

                                  > http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?

                                  > > > ---------------------------------
                                  > > > Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make
                                  > PC-to-Phone calls.
                                  > > Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
                                  > > >

                                  > > ---------------------------------
                                  > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's
                                  > low PC-to-Phone
                                  > call rates.
                                  > >

                                  > ---------------------------------
                                  > Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Rafael
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                                    Thanks Fred.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                                      I don't see any way to distinguish tumbling marks from bag marks or
                                      other contact marks. I would think the grade was based on the total
                                      number of tumbling marks + bag marks. But, admittedly, I don't have
                                      a special window into the minds of graders.

                                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                      > Coin grading is on a scale of G.,V.G., etc. up to MS, etc.
                                      >
                                      > I don't see the purpose in starting to grade Blanks
                                      > with a different set of numbers or criteria.It would
                                      > be confusing, and introducing a new set of numbers and
                                      > terms that just isn't needed, in my opinion.
                                      >
                                      > Why fix something that isn't broke? Aside from the valid
                                      > discussion about whether TPG services SHOULD grade
                                      > Blank Planchets, if they do, why not use the current
                                      > grading system and standards?
                                      >
                                      > Fred
                                    • Error Coins
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                                        Actually, I like the idea of grading planchets. Most of my blanks look like
                                        crap! I would be happy to pay a premium, a substantial premium at that, for a
                                        planchet with good color and a minimum of marks from whatever the source. I
                                        realize that a grading service is not a requirement here, but it sure makes
                                        things easier when dealing trough the mail.

                                        Just a perspective from one "Small Time Collector".

                                        Later.....
                                        Steve

                                        PS Didn't brother Lindy have some sort of "system" for defining the best
                                        blanks?

                                        Error Type Collection:
                                        http://www.five0central.com/ErrorCollection/Five0ErrorTypeSet.htm