Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Copper 25c on 1c Uniface

  • The Guileys
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
      Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
      while its still in the slab?
      It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
      the total you would get the weight of the coin.

      Spencer

    • mdia1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
        In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time, guileys@... writes:

        Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
        while its still in the slab?
        It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
        the total you would get the weight of the coin.

        I've tried that.  The slab weights are too variable.

        Mike
      • The Guileys
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
          thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.

          Spencer

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
            All I know is I bought a slabbed, rolled-thick error with no weight
            on it. I compared the weight to a normal cent in the same kind of
            slab and subtracted the difference. It indicated a very thick, very
            heavy cent. But once cracked out, the cent was only about 10%
            overweight.

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, The Guileys
            <guileys@...> wrote:

            > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
            >
            > Spencer
            >
            > mdia1@... wrote:
            > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
            > > guileys@... writes:
            > >
            > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
            weight of
            > > a coin
            > > while its still in the slab?
            > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
            that
            > > much off
            > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
            > >
            > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
            > >
            > > Mike
          • fred_weinberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
              Mike (Both Mike's)

              I'm happy to take the coin in the holder, crack it out,
              weigh it, and change the tag description.....

              Mike B. - just bring it up to the office one day.

              Mike D. - you're right - not only are the holders
              not the exact weight, but the washers
              used to hold the coins will be different
              due to the size of the coin/error......
              Weighing the PCGS or NGC holder, and trying
              to figure out the weight of the coin will
              NOT Work.

              Fred

              <guileys@...> wrote:

              > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
              >
              > Spencer
              >
              > mdia1@... wrote:
              > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
              > > guileys@... writes:
              > >
              > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
              weight of
              > > a coin
              > > while its still in the slab?
              > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
              that
              > > much off
              > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
              > >
              > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
              > >
              > > Mike

              6/30/2006

            • Rob Risi
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                NOT REALLY...I'VE WEIGHED COINS IN SLABS AND THEY ARE REALATIVELY CLOSE...BUT THEY DO VARY......THE NGC SLABS, SOME ARE SLIGHTLY TALLER THAN OTHERS....PCGS SEEMS TO BE EQUAL, AND AS FOR ALL THE ANACS SLABS, SOME OF THE OLDER ONES ARE AS MUCH AS 1/8''- 1/4'' TALLER OR SMALLER........
                ROB

                mdia1@... wrote:
                > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                > guileys@bellsouth. net writes:
                >
                > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of
                > a coin
                > while its still in the slab?
                > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that
                > much off
                > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                >
                > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                >
                > Mike

                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • byersnc
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                  Fred- I wasn't complaining. But I will bring it next time we do
                  business and lunch in your office.

                  Mike Byers
                  http://mikebyers.com

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg