Re: Copper 25c on 1c Uniface

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
      I do agree that in this specific case the weight should be on the
      tag.

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Lindy- Fred weighed it before he had it slabbed. Then I bought it
      > from him after PCGS certified and authenticated it. Obviously if
      > it weighed 3.1 grams he would have designated it as on a cent
      > blank...and not on the copper core.
      >
      > Mike Byers
      > http://mikebyers.com
      >

      > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
      > <adkinstone@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
      > >
      > > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely
      > > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
      > > multistrike.
      > >
      > > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
      > > included on the holder?
      > >
      > > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
      > > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
      > >
      > > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
      > > described as "core".
      > >
      > > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
      > > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
      > >
      > > Lindy
      > >
      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
      > > >
      > > > Mike Byers
      > > > http://mikebyers.com
      > > >

      > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
      > > Diamond"

      > > > weigh it

      > > > quarter

    • The Guileys
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
        Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
        while its still in the slab?
        It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
        the total you would get the weight of the coin.

        Spencer

      • mdia1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
          In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time, guileys@... writes:

          Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
          while its still in the slab?
          It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
          the total you would get the weight of the coin.

          I've tried that.  The slab weights are too variable.

          Mike
        • The Guileys
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
            thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.

            Spencer

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
              All I know is I bought a slabbed, rolled-thick error with no weight
              on it. I compared the weight to a normal cent in the same kind of
              slab and subtracted the difference. It indicated a very thick, very
              heavy cent. But once cracked out, the cent was only about 10%
              overweight.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, The Guileys
              <guileys@...> wrote:

              > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
              >
              > Spencer
              >
              > mdia1@... wrote:
              > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
              > > guileys@... writes:
              > >
              > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
              weight of
              > > a coin
              > > while its still in the slab?
              > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
              that
              > > much off
              > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
              > >
              > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
              > >
              > > Mike
            • fred_weinberg
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                Mike (Both Mike's)

                I'm happy to take the coin in the holder, crack it out,
                weigh it, and change the tag description.....

                Mike B. - just bring it up to the office one day.

                Mike D. - you're right - not only are the holders
                not the exact weight, but the washers
                used to hold the coins will be different
                due to the size of the coin/error......
                Weighing the PCGS or NGC holder, and trying
                to figure out the weight of the coin will
                NOT Work.

                Fred

                <guileys@...> wrote:

                > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
                >
                > Spencer
                >
                > mdia1@... wrote:
                > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                > > guileys@... writes:
                > >
                > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
                weight of
                > > a coin
                > > while its still in the slab?
                > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
                that
                > > much off
                > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                > >
                > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                > >
                > > Mike

                6/30/2006

              • Rob Risi
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                  NOT REALLY...I'VE WEIGHED COINS IN SLABS AND THEY ARE REALATIVELY CLOSE...BUT THEY DO VARY......THE NGC SLABS, SOME ARE SLIGHTLY TALLER THAN OTHERS....PCGS SEEMS TO BE EQUAL, AND AS FOR ALL THE ANACS SLABS, SOME OF THE OLDER ONES ARE AS MUCH AS 1/8''- 1/4'' TALLER OR SMALLER........
                  ROB

                  mdia1@... wrote:
                  > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                  > guileys@bellsouth. net writes:
                  >
                  > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of
                  > a coin
                  > while its still in the slab?
                  > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that
                  > much off
                  > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                  >
                  > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                  >
                  > Mike

                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                • byersnc
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                    Fred- I wasn't complaining. But I will bring it next time we do
                    business and lunch in your office.

                    Mike Byers
                    http://mikebyers.com

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg