Re: Copper 25c on 1c Uniface

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
      I see the expansion as probably too great for a cent planchet, even
      with a uniface strike. At the same time I recognize that unusual
      factors can come into play to expand a coin far beyond the usual
      expectations. Heck, I had one cent almost as big as a half dollar.

      For me, the expected weight of a quarter core would be around 3.67
      grams, since each clad layer weighs approximately one gram. That's
      IF both layers fell off after blanking. Since that scenario accounts
      for 99% of all one-sided missing clad errors, that should be a safe
      bet.

      Weight is an important parameter in coins like this. The weight of
      one of Mike Byers' dimes on "cent stock" clearly does not match that
      of either cent stock or a cut-down cent planchet.

      <adkinstone@...> wrote:

      > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
      >
      > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely a
      > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
      > multistrike.
      >
      > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
      > included on the holder?
      >
      > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
      > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
      >
      > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
      > described as "core".
      >
      > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
      > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
      >
      > Lindy
    • byersnc
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
        Lindy- Fred weighed it before he had it slabbed. Then I bought it
        from him after PCGS certified and authenticated it. Obviously if
        it weighed 3.1 grams he would have designated it as on a cent
        blank...and not on the copper core.

        Mike Byers
        http://mikebyers.com

        errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
        <adkinstone@...> wrote:

        > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
        >
        > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely a
        > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
        > multistrike.
        >
        > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
        > included on the holder?
        >
        > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
        > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
        >
        > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
        > described as "core".
        >
        > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
        > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
        >
        > Lindy
        >
        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
        > >
        > > Mike Byers
        > > http://mikebyers.com
        > >

        > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
        > Diamond"
        > > <mdia1@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've seen it. It's an impressive specimen. Did you happen to
        > > weigh it
        > > > before it was slabbed?
        > > >
        > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc

        > > quarter

      • byersnc
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
          I do agree that in this specific case the weight should be on the
          tag.

          Mike Byers
          http://mikebyers.com

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Lindy- Fred weighed it before he had it slabbed. Then I bought it
          > from him after PCGS certified and authenticated it. Obviously if
          > it weighed 3.1 grams he would have designated it as on a cent
          > blank...and not on the copper core.
          >
          > Mike Byers
          > http://mikebyers.com
          >

          > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
          > <adkinstone@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
          > >
          > > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely
          > > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
          > > multistrike.
          > >
          > > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
          > > included on the holder?
          > >
          > > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
          > > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
          > >
          > > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
          > > described as "core".
          > >
          > > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
          > > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
          > >
          > > Lindy
          > >
          > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
          > > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
          > > >
          > > > Mike Byers
          > > > http://mikebyers.com
          > > >

          > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
          > > Diamond"

          > > > weigh it

          > > > quarter

        • The Guileys
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
            Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
            while its still in the slab?
            It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
            the total you would get the weight of the coin.

            Spencer

          • mdia1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
              In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time, guileys@... writes:

              Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
              while its still in the slab?
              It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
              the total you would get the weight of the coin.

              I've tried that.  The slab weights are too variable.

              Mike
            • The Guileys
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.

                Spencer

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                  All I know is I bought a slabbed, rolled-thick error with no weight
                  on it. I compared the weight to a normal cent in the same kind of
                  slab and subtracted the difference. It indicated a very thick, very
                  heavy cent. But once cracked out, the cent was only about 10%
                  overweight.

                  --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, The Guileys
                  <guileys@...> wrote:

                  > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
                  >
                  > Spencer
                  >
                  > mdia1@... wrote:
                  > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                  > > guileys@... writes:
                  > >
                  > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
                  weight of
                  > > a coin
                  > > while its still in the slab?
                  > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
                  that
                  > > much off
                  > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                  > >
                  > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                  > >
                  > > Mike
                • fred_weinberg
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                    Mike (Both Mike's)

                    I'm happy to take the coin in the holder, crack it out,
                    weigh it, and change the tag description.....

                    Mike B. - just bring it up to the office one day.

                    Mike D. - you're right - not only are the holders
                    not the exact weight, but the washers
                    used to hold the coins will be different
                    due to the size of the coin/error......
                    Weighing the PCGS or NGC holder, and trying
                    to figure out the weight of the coin will
                    NOT Work.

                    Fred

                    <guileys@...> wrote:

                    > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
                    >
                    > Spencer
                    >
                    > mdia1@... wrote:
                    > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                    > > guileys@... writes:
                    > >
                    > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
                    weight of
                    > > a coin
                    > > while its still in the slab?
                    > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
                    that
                    > > much off
                    > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                    > >
                    > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                    > >
                    > > Mike

                    6/30/2006

                  • Rob Risi
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                      NOT REALLY...I'VE WEIGHED COINS IN SLABS AND THEY ARE REALATIVELY CLOSE...BUT THEY DO VARY......THE NGC SLABS, SOME ARE SLIGHTLY TALLER THAN OTHERS....PCGS SEEMS TO BE EQUAL, AND AS FOR ALL THE ANACS SLABS, SOME OF THE OLDER ONES ARE AS MUCH AS 1/8''- 1/4'' TALLER OR SMALLER........
                      ROB

                      mdia1@... wrote:
                      > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                      > guileys@bellsouth. net writes:
                      >
                      > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of
                      > a coin
                      > while its still in the slab?
                      > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that
                      > much off
                      > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                      >
                      > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                      >
                      > Mike

                      > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                    • byersnc
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                        Fred- I wasn't complaining. But I will bring it next time we do
                        business and lunch in your office.

                        Mike Byers
                        http://mikebyers.com

                        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg