Re: Copper 25c on 1c Uniface

  • mrlindy2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
      This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.

      Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely a
      25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
      multistrike.

      Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
      included on the holder?

      My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
      copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.

      To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
      described as "core".

      And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
      possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.

      Lindy

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
      >
      > Mike Byers
      > http://mikebyers.com
      >

      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
      Diamond"

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
        I see the expansion as probably too great for a cent planchet, even
        with a uniface strike. At the same time I recognize that unusual
        factors can come into play to expand a coin far beyond the usual
        expectations. Heck, I had one cent almost as big as a half dollar.

        For me, the expected weight of a quarter core would be around 3.67
        grams, since each clad layer weighs approximately one gram. That's
        IF both layers fell off after blanking. Since that scenario accounts
        for 99% of all one-sided missing clad errors, that should be a safe
        bet.

        Weight is an important parameter in coins like this. The weight of
        one of Mike Byers' dimes on "cent stock" clearly does not match that
        of either cent stock or a cut-down cent planchet.

        <adkinstone@...> wrote:

        > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
        >
        > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely a
        > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
        > multistrike.
        >
        > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
        > included on the holder?
        >
        > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
        > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
        >
        > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
        > described as "core".
        >
        > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
        > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
        >
        > Lindy
      • byersnc
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
          Lindy- Fred weighed it before he had it slabbed. Then I bought it
          from him after PCGS certified and authenticated it. Obviously if
          it weighed 3.1 grams he would have designated it as on a cent
          blank...and not on the copper core.

          Mike Byers
          http://mikebyers.com

          errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
          <adkinstone@...> wrote:

          > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
          >
          > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely a
          > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
          > multistrike.
          >
          > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
          > included on the holder?
          >
          > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
          > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
          >
          > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
          > described as "core".
          >
          > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
          > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
          >
          > Lindy
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
          > >
          > > Mike Byers
          > > http://mikebyers.com
          > >

          > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
          > Diamond"
          > > <mdia1@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I've seen it. It's an impressive specimen. Did you happen to
          > > weigh it
          > > > before it was slabbed?
          > > >
          > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc

          > > quarter

        • byersnc
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
            I do agree that in this specific case the weight should be on the
            tag.

            Mike Byers
            http://mikebyers.com

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Lindy- Fred weighed it before he had it slabbed. Then I bought it
            > from him after PCGS certified and authenticated it. Obviously if
            > it weighed 3.1 grams he would have designated it as on a cent
            > blank...and not on the copper core.
            >
            > Mike Byers
            > http://mikebyers.com
            >

            > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
            > <adkinstone@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
            > >
            > > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely
            > > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
            > > multistrike.
            > >
            > > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
            > > included on the holder?
            > >
            > > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
            > > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
            > >
            > > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
            > > described as "core".
            > >
            > > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
            > > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
            > >
            > > Lindy
            > >
            > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
            > > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
            > > >
            > > > Mike Byers
            > > > http://mikebyers.com
            > > >

            > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
            > > Diamond"

            > > > weigh it

            > > > quarter

          • The Guileys
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
              Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
              while its still in the slab?
              It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
              the total you would get the weight of the coin.

              Spencer

            • mdia1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time, guileys@... writes:

                Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
                while its still in the slab?
                It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
                the total you would get the weight of the coin.

                I've tried that.  The slab weights are too variable.

                Mike
              • The Guileys
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                  thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.

                  Spencer

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                    All I know is I bought a slabbed, rolled-thick error with no weight
                    on it. I compared the weight to a normal cent in the same kind of
                    slab and subtracted the difference. It indicated a very thick, very
                    heavy cent. But once cracked out, the cent was only about 10%
                    overweight.

                    --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, The Guileys
                    <guileys@...> wrote:

                    > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
                    >
                    > Spencer
                    >
                    > mdia1@... wrote:
                    > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                    > > guileys@... writes:
                    > >
                    > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
                    weight of
                    > > a coin
                    > > while its still in the slab?
                    > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
                    that
                    > > much off
                    > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                    > >
                    > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                    > >
                    > > Mike
                  • fred_weinberg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                      Mike (Both Mike's)

                      I'm happy to take the coin in the holder, crack it out,
                      weigh it, and change the tag description.....

                      Mike B. - just bring it up to the office one day.

                      Mike D. - you're right - not only are the holders
                      not the exact weight, but the washers
                      used to hold the coins will be different
                      due to the size of the coin/error......
                      Weighing the PCGS or NGC holder, and trying
                      to figure out the weight of the coin will
                      NOT Work.

                      Fred

                      <guileys@...> wrote:

                      > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
                      >
                      > Spencer
                      >
                      > mdia1@... wrote:
                      > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                      > > guileys@... writes:
                      > >
                      > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
                      weight of
                      > > a coin
                      > > while its still in the slab?
                      > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
                      that
                      > > much off
                      > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                      > >
                      > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                      > >
                      > > Mike

                      6/30/2006

                    • Rob Risi
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                        NOT REALLY...I'VE WEIGHED COINS IN SLABS AND THEY ARE REALATIVELY CLOSE...BUT THEY DO VARY......THE NGC SLABS, SOME ARE SLIGHTLY TALLER THAN OTHERS....PCGS SEEMS TO BE EQUAL, AND AS FOR ALL THE ANACS SLABS, SOME OF THE OLDER ONES ARE AS MUCH AS 1/8''- 1/4'' TALLER OR SMALLER........
                        ROB

                        mdia1@... wrote:
                        > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                        > guileys@bellsouth. net writes:
                        >
                        > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of
                        > a coin
                        > while its still in the slab?
                        > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that
                        > much off
                        > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                        >
                        > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                        >
                        > Mike

                        > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                      • byersnc
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                          Fred- I wasn't complaining. But I will bring it next time we do
                          business and lunch in your office.

                          Mike Byers
                          http://mikebyers.com

                          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg