from Mike Byers- Unique Mated Off-Metal DIE CAP PAIR

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
      A 1970-D Lincoln Cent Obverse Die Cap struck on a Dime Blank mated to a
      (1970-D) Lincoln Cent on a Dime Blank with a Late Stage Brockage
      Obverse. This is only the third known off-metal die cap mated pair for
      any denomination. Unique.

      http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/1c1970matedpair1m.jpg
      http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/1c1970matedpair2m.jpg

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        I don't see how these can be a mated pair. The bottom coin should show
        a first-strike brockage on the obverse face. Instead, the bottom coin
        shows either an in-collar uniface strike or an early strike from a
        uniface die cap. It can't be a late-stage brockage because there is no
        brockage impression and there is hardly any ghost image of Lincoln.

        Thanks for showing us this and the other errors. They're quite
        remarkable.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > A 1970-D Lincoln Cent Obverse Die Cap struck on a Dime Blank mated to
        > (1970-D) Lincoln Cent on a Dime Blank with a Late Stage Brockage
        > Obverse. This is only the third known off-metal die cap mated pair
        for
        > any denomination. Unique.
        >
        > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/1c1970matedpair1m.jpg
        > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/1c1970matedpair2m.jpg
        >
        > Mike Byers
        > http://mikebyers.com

      • byersnc
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
          Hi Mike D. Thanks for alerting me. The deal I bought has 25 pieces
          plus the mated sets that I previously mentioned. Several of the
          mated sets are 3 piece mated!! I think this scan got mixed up since
          the deal just came in today, and it's a project to get all of these
          in my ebay store, website, price list, catalog and book. My
          webmaster just left for vacation so if I can't sort it out it will
          have to wait until his return. Somewhere is the 2nd half mate to the
          off metal die cap.

          Mike Byers
          http://mikebyers.com