Copper 25c

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
      Mike D.- to my knowledge there isn't a full weight copper quarter
      known. The only known quarter on the copper core is here:

      http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/21247220e.jpg

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
        I've seen it. It's an impressive specimen. Did you happen to weigh it
        before it was slabbed?

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Mike D.- to my knowledge there isn't a full weight copper quarter
        > known. The only known quarter on the copper core is here:
        >
        > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/21247220e.jpg
        >
        > Mike Byers
        > http://mikebyers.com

      • byersnc
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
          I bought it already certified by PCGS.

          Mike Byers
          http://mikebyers.com

          <mdia1@...> wrote:

          > I've seen it. It's an impressive specimen. Did you happen to
          weigh it
          > before it was slabbed?
          >
          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Mike D.- to my knowledge there isn't a full weight copper
          quarter
          > > known. The only known quarter on the copper core is here:
          > >
          > > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/21247220e.jpg
          > >
          > > Mike Byers
          > > http://mikebyers.com

        • mrlindy2000
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
            This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.

            Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely a
            25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
            multistrike.

            Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
            included on the holder?

            My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
            copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.

            To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
            described as "core".

            And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
            possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.

            Lindy

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
            >
            > Mike Byers
            > http://mikebyers.com
            >

            > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
            Diamond"

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
              I see the expansion as probably too great for a cent planchet, even
              with a uniface strike. At the same time I recognize that unusual
              factors can come into play to expand a coin far beyond the usual
              expectations. Heck, I had one cent almost as big as a half dollar.

              For me, the expected weight of a quarter core would be around 3.67
              grams, since each clad layer weighs approximately one gram. That's
              IF both layers fell off after blanking. Since that scenario accounts
              for 99% of all one-sided missing clad errors, that should be a safe
              bet.

              Weight is an important parameter in coins like this. The weight of
              one of Mike Byers' dimes on "cent stock" clearly does not match that
              of either cent stock or a cut-down cent planchet.

              <adkinstone@...> wrote:

              > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
              >
              > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely a
              > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
              > multistrike.
              >
              > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
              > included on the holder?
              >
              > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
              > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
              >
              > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
              > described as "core".
              >
              > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
              > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
              >
              > Lindy
            • byersnc
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                Lindy- Fred weighed it before he had it slabbed. Then I bought it
                from him after PCGS certified and authenticated it. Obviously if
                it weighed 3.1 grams he would have designated it as on a cent
                blank...and not on the copper core.

                Mike Byers
                http://mikebyers.com

                errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
                <adkinstone@...> wrote:

                > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
                >
                > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely a
                > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
                > multistrike.
                >
                > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
                > included on the holder?
                >
                > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
                > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
                >
                > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
                > described as "core".
                >
                > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
                > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
                >
                > Lindy
                >
                > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
                > >
                > > Mike Byers
                > > http://mikebyers.com
                > >

                > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
                > Diamond"
                > > <mdia1@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I've seen it. It's an impressive specimen. Did you happen to
                > > weigh it
                > > > before it was slabbed?
                > > >
                > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc

                > > quarter

              • byersnc
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                  I do agree that in this specific case the weight should be on the
                  tag.

                  Mike Byers
                  http://mikebyers.com

                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Lindy- Fred weighed it before he had it slabbed. Then I bought it
                  > from him after PCGS certified and authenticated it. Obviously if
                  > it weighed 3.1 grams he would have designated it as on a cent
                  > blank...and not on the copper core.
                  >
                  > Mike Byers
                  > http://mikebyers.com
                  >

                  > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
                  > <adkinstone@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > This 25c on 1c looking error has always bugged me Mike Byers.
                  > >
                  > > Without a weight on the slab I do wonder if this is more likely
                  > > 25c on copper 1c and not a unique cladless 25c "core" uniface
                  > > multistrike.
                  > >
                  > > Why not have pcgs crack it out for you and get a gram weight
                  > > included on the holder?
                  > >
                  > > My guess for 25c on 1c strike is 3.11 grams whereas my guess for
                  > > copper core 25c with 2 missing layers is 3.85 grams.
                  > >
                  > > To me the exact weight alone would more likey authenticate it as
                  > > described as "core".
                  > >
                  > > And thats not assuming a USA struck for Foreign copper planchet
                  > > possibility instead of the more likely copper 1c guess.
                  > >
                  > > Lindy
                  > >
                  > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
                  > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I bought it already certified by PCGS.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike Byers
                  > > > http://mikebyers.com
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike
                  > > Diamond"

                  > > > weigh it

                  > > > quarter

                • The Guileys
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                    Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
                    while its still in the slab?
                    It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
                    the total you would get the weight of the coin.

                    Spencer

                  • mdia1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                      In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time, guileys@... writes:

                      Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of a coin
                      while its still in the slab?
                      It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that much off
                      the total you would get the weight of the coin.

                      I've tried that.  The slab weights are too variable.

                      Mike
                    • The Guileys
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                        thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.

                        Spencer

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                          All I know is I bought a slabbed, rolled-thick error with no weight
                          on it. I compared the weight to a normal cent in the same kind of
                          slab and subtracted the difference. It indicated a very thick, very
                          heavy cent. But once cracked out, the cent was only about 10%
                          overweight.

                          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, The Guileys
                          <guileys@...> wrote:

                          > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
                          >
                          > Spencer
                          >
                          > mdia1@... wrote:
                          > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                          > > guileys@... writes:
                          > >
                          > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
                          weight of
                          > > a coin
                          > > while its still in the slab?
                          > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
                          that
                          > > much off
                          > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                          > >
                          > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                          > >
                          > > Mike
                        • fred_weinberg
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                            Mike (Both Mike's)

                            I'm happy to take the coin in the holder, crack it out,
                            weigh it, and change the tag description.....

                            Mike B. - just bring it up to the office one day.

                            Mike D. - you're right - not only are the holders
                            not the exact weight, but the washers
                            used to hold the coins will be different
                            due to the size of the coin/error......
                            Weighing the PCGS or NGC holder, and trying
                            to figure out the weight of the coin will
                            NOT Work.

                            Fred

                            <guileys@...> wrote:

                            > thats weird---it seems like a slab would be the same weight.
                            >
                            > Spencer
                            >
                            > mdia1@... wrote:
                            > > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                            > > guileys@... writes:
                            > >
                            > > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a
                            weight of
                            > > a coin
                            > > while its still in the slab?
                            > > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took
                            that
                            > > much off
                            > > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                            > >
                            > > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                            > >
                            > > Mike

                            6/30/2006

                          • Rob Risi
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                              NOT REALLY...I'VE WEIGHED COINS IN SLABS AND THEY ARE REALATIVELY CLOSE...BUT THEY DO VARY......THE NGC SLABS, SOME ARE SLIGHTLY TALLER THAN OTHERS....PCGS SEEMS TO BE EQUAL, AND AS FOR ALL THE ANACS SLABS, SOME OF THE OLDER ONES ARE AS MUCH AS 1/8''- 1/4'' TALLER OR SMALLER........
                              ROB

                              mdia1@... wrote:
                              > In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:00:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                              > guileys@bellsouth. net writes:
                              >
                              > Why can't someone weigh a slab so that people can get a weight of
                              > a coin
                              > while its still in the slab?
                              > It seems like if you knew how much a slab weighed and took that
                              > much off
                              > the total you would get the weight of the coin.
                              >
                              > I've tried that. The slab weights are too variable.
                              >
                              > Mike

                              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                            • byersnc
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 3, 2006
                                Fred- I wasn't complaining. But I will bring it next time we do
                                business and lunch in your office.

                                Mike Byers
                                http://mikebyers.com

                                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg