Re: Ill. state quarter missing clad?

  • Jason Craton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, mdia1@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 6/30/2006 8:07:01 PM Central Standard Time,
      > craton@... writes:
      >
      > Hello Mike. I recieved an e-mail from a gentleman who has a quarter
      > and he believes it is missing the clad layers on BOTH sides. The coin
      > wieghs in at 5.648 grams ...... not light enough eh?
      > He sent me some images via usps but they weren't good enough to tell
      > anything other then it looked copper-ish.
      >

      > Hi Jason.
      >
      > While such errors (full weight, pure copper quarters) are
      theoretically
      > possible, I have not yet encountered a genuine example. I've never
      seen one
      > slabbed. Some are stained, some are plated, some are struck
      counterfeits,
      > and many of the latter are EXTREMELY well-executed. But they all have
      > something wrong with them -- obliterated reeding, funny color,
      porous planchet, black
      > specks, odd metal flow patterns, extraneous metal, etc. Many
      apparently
      > come from the same source, as they're marked by a letter or symbol
      inscribed by
      > a vibrating engraver. I saw one of these recently on eBay. It
      might still
      > be there.
      >
      > Another possibility is an improperly annealed quarter. This
      term has
      > replaced the old "copper wash" and "sintered plating" designations
      among the
      > top two grading services. In some manner that has not been disclosed,
      > excessive or prolonged heat results in the deposition of a thin
      layer of copper on
      > the surface.
      >
      > Mike

      Thanks Mike, I sent him the info. I suggested that he go ahead and
      send it to PCGS. I told him that personaly, I thought it was plated
      but he really doesn't want to believe me .........
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
        If you look in the "Fakes" album you'll see three of the counterfeit
        copper quarters. The left and middle specimens show engraved letters
        (T and Q, respectively). The left coin was cut with snips, revealing a
        pure copper interior. The one on the right had a flake of copper
        sitting on the surface that I peeled up, revealing an oddly porous
        planchet.

        These are scary in how well they were executed. I have not seen any
        state quarters of this nature.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
          Here's the copper quarter that's currently on eBay. It carries the
          same sort of engraving mark as many others I've seen.

          http://tiny.bz/0ke/