Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Re: Ill. state quarter missing clad?

  • Rob Risi
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 5:42 AM
      Hello everyone!  This is in reguard to the TV show that airs tonight at 7pm on the history channel...Is it possible for anyone to perhaps tape the show on DVD?  If so i would appreciate it as i won't be able to see it...It's on HOW THE US MINTS MAKE MONEY AND THE BUREAU OF ENGRAVING AND PRINTING ON PAPER MONEY---ETC/ETC.......Please advise me if someone can do this favor and i will pay postage/etc for the mailing of the DVD...as well as the DVD itself........
      THANKS GUYS
      Your ERROR collector buddy
      ROBERT J RISI

      mdia1@... wrote:
      In a message dated 6/30/2006 8:07:01 PM Central Standard Time, craton@... writes:
      Hello Mike. I recieved an e-mail from a gentleman who has a quarter
      and he believes it is missing the clad layers on BOTH sides. The coin
      wieghs in at 5.648 grams ...... not light enough eh?
      He sent me some images via usps but they weren't good enough to tell
      anything other then it looked copper-ish.
      Hi Jason.

          While such errors (full weight, pure copper quarters) are theoretically possible, I have not yet encountered a genuine example.  I've never seen one slabbed.  Some are stained, some are plated, some are struck counterfeits, and many of the latter are EXTREMELY well-executed.  But they all have something wrong with them -- obliterated reeding, funny color, porous planchet, black specks, odd metal flow patterns, extraneous metal, etc.  Many apparently come from the same source, as they're marked by a letter or symbol inscribed by a vibrating engraver.  I saw one of these recently on eBay.  It might still be there.

          Another possibility is an improperly annealed quarter.  This term has replaced the old "copper wash" and "sintered plating" designations among the top two grading services.  In some manner that has not been disclosed, excessive or prolonged heat results in the deposition of a thin layer of copper on the surface.

      Mike

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Jason Craton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 9:34 AM
        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, mdia1@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 6/30/2006 8:07:01 PM Central Standard Time,
        > craton@... writes:
        >
        > Hello Mike. I recieved an e-mail from a gentleman who has a quarter
        > and he believes it is missing the clad layers on BOTH sides. The coin
        > wieghs in at 5.648 grams ...... not light enough eh?
        > He sent me some images via usps but they weren't good enough to tell
        > anything other then it looked copper-ish.
        >

        > Hi Jason.
        >
        > While such errors (full weight, pure copper quarters) are
        theoretically
        > possible, I have not yet encountered a genuine example. I've never
        seen one
        > slabbed. Some are stained, some are plated, some are struck
        counterfeits,
        > and many of the latter are EXTREMELY well-executed. But they all have
        > something wrong with them -- obliterated reeding, funny color,
        porous planchet, black
        > specks, odd metal flow patterns, extraneous metal, etc. Many
        apparently
        > come from the same source, as they're marked by a letter or symbol
        inscribed by
        > a vibrating engraver. I saw one of these recently on eBay. It
        might still
        > be there.
        >
        > Another possibility is an improperly annealed quarter. This
        term has
        > replaced the old "copper wash" and "sintered plating" designations
        among the
        > top two grading services. In some manner that has not been disclosed,
        > excessive or prolonged heat results in the deposition of a thin
        layer of copper on
        > the surface.
        >
        > Mike

        Thanks Mike, I sent him the info. I suggested that he go ahead and
        send it to PCGS. I told him that personaly, I thought it was plated
        but he really doesn't want to believe me .........
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 11:01 AM
          If you look in the "Fakes" album you'll see three of the counterfeit
          copper quarters. The left and middle specimens show engraved letters
          (T and Q, respectively). The left coin was cut with snips, revealing a
          pure copper interior. The one on the right had a flake of copper
          sitting on the surface that I peeled up, revealing an oddly porous
          planchet.

          These are scary in how well they were executed. I have not seen any
          state quarters of this nature.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 11:09 AM
            Here's the copper quarter that's currently on eBay. It carries the
            same sort of engraving mark as many others I've seen.

            http://tiny.bz/0ke/