In need of some info.

  • randalfontenot
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2006
      I have a 2004 Peace Metal nickle, mint,uncirculated, but on the
      reverse side the date is 2802 instead of 1802, it'obvious the 2 is
      stamped over the 1,if you hold it to the side you can barely see the
      the 1. On the obverse side, it has a lamination error I guess you
      would call it,it has a "skimmimg effect" on most of the front like it
      was shaved or peeling. I haven't had it checked out yet,just wondering
      if someone could tell me exactly what these errors would be called and
      the rarity of it,I've been collecting coins for years but I'm just
      really starting to get into the error coins , didn't really know I had
      so many, found this site,seems pretty cool and informative, I would
      appreciate any info I could get,I have few more that might be rare
      that maybe someone can help me identify or point me in the right
      direction, "Thanks"
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2006
        If there is a 2 stamped over a 1, it's undoubtedly an intentionally
        altered coin or damage that mimics an overdate variety. An authentic
        error of this nature is impossible in this day and age. There have
        been no true overdates since 1908 and there hasn't been a Class III
        doubled die variety since WWII. Certainly no such error has been
        reported; if one had it would have been front page news.

        It's also unlikely you have a lamination error. I haven't seen a
        single lamination error in a Peace nickel. I see lots of errors on
        eBay labeled laminations, but they're all strike-through errors.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "randalfontenot"